Friday, June 20, 2014

Going to court

I shut off my alarm at 8 and got up at 8:45. I talked to my dad who was already up. I juiced for Dad and myself. I ate breakfast and checked e-mail. Chris drove me to Fresh Market to get some flowers to freshen the funeral bouquets. But their flowers weren't much fresher than the ones I had. So we went to the nearby florist. I got some zinnias, black-eyed susans and something tall and purple. Together they looked nice together, but spread out over 2 bouquets kind of disappeared. The susans wilted. The purple things were barely tall enough to replace the fading snapdragons. And the bunch was as expensive as a small bouquet. I arranged the flowers into the existing bouquets, cutting stems as necessary and pulling out the wilting ones. Then I rewrote the page of notes on financial accounts for the probate appointment. We got to the courthouse early so I called Faye and she said she'd be there soon. We left our phones and cameras in the car. Walking in we saw the sign listing all the things that could not be brought in the building. I handed my scissors and tiny screwdriver to Chris who ran them back to his car. I set my purse on the conveyor belt at security and walked through the scanner. Dad did not see the sign about emptying pockets before he walked through. So they wanded him over and over as he emptied his pockets one at a time on the other side. Finally he finished and the people behind him could go through. We waited in the lobby for Faye and then all walked into the circuit court part together. While we were waiting, Dad fell asleep. I kept looking over to make sure he was still breathing. When we got called back, the deputy clerk was very nice and patient. She explained to Dad and me as best she could what had to be done. Gee, there is a fee for everything. And more to come. Dad now has homework in that he has four months to get all her affairs together and report to some office I can't remember the name of. When we left, Faye discovered that she had locked her keys in her car by her effort to bring in as little as possible. We drove her home to get her spare key, but Kevin had it and she thought he was at Food Lion so we went there. Then Dad gave Faye Kevin's cell phone number so she called him and he came over from wherever he was. They handled it from there and we went home. I went through some of Mom's stacks of papers. Most were exercise and diet related. One talked about how Lyme disease gets misdiagnosed as one of a number of chronic diseases such as Parkinsons. I got some frozen blueberries and strawberries from the stand up freezer. They were a little dehydrated, but Dad and I shared them. I also made some seaweed soup. Then I looked up some phone numbers for the banks Dad has to call, and a doctor he wants to see.  We went for a walk around the neighborhood.  He and I sat down to read the sympathy cards and make a list.  It was very touching.  
I heard Michele and Chris skyping, so I went into the living room to talk to her. My dad came in as well, but then had to get ready for tomorrow. I talked a little longer and left to write to my blog.
*  this is the 'after' picture of one of the bouquets.  There are no black-eyed susans because they wilted.  At $4 a stem, I am rather disappointed.  *

No comments: