Sunday, June 8, 2014

Memories of Mom

I got up at 7:30. I read e-mail, looking for something new about funeral arrangements. I e-mailed back and forth with Kurt trying to pin down a time and airport to fly into. I took a shower and got dressed for church. I got there in time to warm up with the choir. It was easier to sit through the service knowing that nobody knew about Mom. Well, Jennifer knew, but she promised not to tell anyone before the service. After the service I told the other Jennifer because she is starting a praise band on Wednesday night and I probably won't be there. Then I told Pastor and he was very understanding. He asked if there was anything I needed, and I told him I needed help deciding on a flight to either Virginia or Washington. He invited me to come to his house later and he would help me do that. I went home and changed my clothes to go to the grocery store. I did not buy much. Then at home I put the groceries away and checked e-mail. There was a good one from Kurt on info to consider when choosing a flight so I printed it out on the desktop computer. It came out really small. I went outside to water the garden with mineral-infused water, and to plant more sweet potato slips. The mineral water is supposed to help them resist pests and diseases.  Chris skyped me and we talked for a bit until I had to leave for the pastor's house. My phone rang and I considered not answering it, but could not resist. It was one of my quilting friends. She offered to ride up to Va or Pa, wherever I needed to go. I was very touched. I drove to the pastor's house, passing it and turning around when I was sure that had to be it. He gave me his house number but I left it at home. He set up his laptop and we searched for flights on different days, at different times, to different places, etc. Chris' boss called to offer his condolences and any help I might need. Finally the pastor and I settled on a Tuesday flight. I wrote down the info so I could book it at home. But by the time I got home, my mind had said “yes, but...” so many times that I did not follow through. I tried to call Faye, but there was no answer. Kurt and I wrote back and forth about travel issues, and then I skyped him, to save my fingers. After awhile, he got a call he had to take, so I went out to mow the lawn. When I came in, there was no new e-mail. I called Faye and we talked about memories to be shared at the funeral, and maybe the memorial service. Our call kept dropping and I was not sure which phone was to blame. So I took the sim card from the old phone and put it in the new one. I hope it won't start ringing every 10 minutes like earlier today. Somehow I missed supper, but now doesn't seem like the time to eat.
*  my blighted tomatoes.  I hope it isn't systemic  *

No comments: