Monday, June 16, 2014

The search

We slept in late after staying up 'till one am. I think Dad was already up and Kurt got up soon after. The morning went slowly. Dad had me read to him an article on what to do after a loved one dies. I wrote notes for him in a larger size. Then Dad walked to the funeral home to get his 7 copies of the death certificate. I ate my breakfast and I tried to find ways to consolidate clutter. The next thing he was supposed to do was to get Letters Testamentary from the courthouse. But he could not find her will. He looked all over and then Kurt and I looked all over. He went to the bank to look in his safe deposit box, but it wasn't there either, or the deed to the house. I called the credit card company to get her card transferred to his name, but they would not talk to me. When he got back empty-handed, Kurt and I searched harder and found the deed. I also found more photos of Mom. We got in touch with Faye who had a copy of the will. Chris went shopping and then made supper. After supper, Kurt went to get Patrick and the rest of us went to pick up the will. But then I made Chris take me back to watch the house until Kurt got back since he did not have a key. I arranged the photos on pages. I sewed a patch on Chris' laundry bag, which he got in basic training. When Dad returned, we called the credit card company together and got it straightened out, in that he can use the card until they send him an application to fill out to get approved to keep the card. There was a package for Dad on the front porch. He opened it to find a gift box full of foods – a much healthier selection than the one from Mom's doctor. It was from Kurt's workplace. Patrick went home then. I had almost finished arranging photos when I noticed it was after 11 and time to go to bed.
*  this is Kurt's favorite photo of Mom  *

No comments: