Friday, June 13, 2014

The return of Chris

I woke up before 7, drank some water and went back to bed. I got back up at 7:15. I took my pre-breakfast supplements. I listened to an audio. I took out the recyclables. I loaded the route to the airport on my tablet. I started packing my food box as I assembled breakfast. Chris called after 8 to tell me he had arrived at the airport. I put on my shoes, grabbed the tablet and my purse and headed out. I was going to avoid the parkway, but coming down Bob Wallace, it looked pretty clear. However, by the time I came up the on-ramp, it was crowded. I managed to snake my way in, and get to the exit to 565. It was clear sailing to the airport. He was waiting when I drove up. At this point I always let him drive, but today I stayed in the driver's seat and drove us home. We walked around the yard as I pointed out all the things I had planted. Then we … took a nap. My stomach gurgled, so I got up to juice and make breakfast. He was jetlagged, so he slept on. I rescheduled my doctor's apt for July 2nd. I checked the mail, and there were four more condolence cards. The senders must have put them in the mail as soon as they heard the news. I was touched. I laid out in the sun until a big, dark cloud settled over the house. Denise called to say she'd be right over to pick up the strips. And she did. We were still on the phone when I heard her knock on the door. I gave her the bag of strips for the strip exchange and we talked. After she left, I finished breakfast and wondered how long Chris was going to sleep. I noticed that the ants were gone, and that the splotches of diatomaeous earth by the door and window were getting on my nerves. I sat in the sun to tap. I continued packing the food box. When Chris got up, he took a shower, unpacked and re-packed. We got on the road about 4:15. It rained and then the most wonderful rainbow appeared. At first we were on the left side of it and I could see the beginning of it was in front of the trees. Then we were on the right. It seemed to be dripping color down onto the pavement in front of us. But then it rained again, and this time so hard that I was scared. It did not last long. Once we were through it, it did not rain again, but we ran into lane closings and accidents, so traffic was slow. We found a hotel in Bristol about 10, but it was really crowded and we had to move our stuff up to a room on the third floor. I had a hard time sleeping, both because of my mind working overtime and because the bed was not good for my back.
*  another photo of my mom  *

No comments: