Saturday, June 21, 2014

Memorial service

I got up after 8 wondering why my phone alarm did not sound. I started the day with swishing, and vitamin C and juicing carrots and celery for Dad and myself. I made two breakfasts, one for today and one for tomorrow. I ate one in front of the TV. The cheeriness reminded me that there is happiness somewhere in the world, but part of my doesn't understand how that can be when my mother is dead. I took a bath and got dressed. I lined a box with the plastic from the flowers yesterday and packed my food into it. I don't know how anything spilled on the way up, but the old box got wet, so I lined this new one. I found a vase to hold flowers at the memorial service. I think the ones in floral foam need to come out, but the foam is the best way to transport them to the church without spilling water. Somehow the greenery has dried out and I don't know why,. Usually that stuff lasts the longest. I called Faye and she is bringing a vase also, and a knife to cut the stems. Kurt arrived while I was talking to her. Dad practiced his speech. I packed up my stuff. When I unplugged my laptop, there was a phone charger too and I grabbed it. Chris carried my stuff out to the car. Kurt packed the photos and other memorial stuff into the station wagon, then went to pick up Patrick. Dad helped to load the flowers into our car. Then we followed him to the church. Faye and Kevin were soon there. We set up photos on a table and Faye got out another one. The flowers were not so nice. I pulled out a bunch from one bouquet and stuck them in one of Mom's vases. The other large bouquet went into the sanctuary along with two large photos of Mom. My inlaws came to offer support. William and Karen came. Lots of people came and the sanctuary was full. Our family followed the pastor in. We sat in the first two pews. It was basically the same service as the funeral. In addition to the family that spoke, several church members did too, including Gabriella, Barbara B, and Barbara M. I think there was a fourth person, but I cannot remember who. Everyone did a good job. After the service, we went into the fellowship hall where the ladies of the church had rolls, veggies, and fruit. I talked to Eric whom I haven't seen in a long time. And to Alford, Dad's neighbor. Ginny H. told me how happy it made my mother every time I came to visit. I put some veggies on a plate and sat down because I felt lightheaded. Soon I was surrounded by people offering support. When the room cleared out, Faye told me she was going to leave the picture display up until tomorrow after church. I took my photos down and changed my clothes for traveling. The church ladies packed the leftovers into ziplock bags for the family. We took one. It was close to 5 when we left the church. We drove straight to Bristol with only one stop for stretching. We ate leftover vegetables on the way. When we got to the hotel, I called Dad to see how he was doing. He see
med fine, but his phone battery was low. After the call, I asked Chris to plug in my phone to recharge, but the charger did not fit. I grabbed Dad's charger by mistake! (headslap) I felt just terrible. I called him back. He looked for his charger and found a different one but it did not fit his phone. So he said he would buy another one tomorrow, but I wonder if he can find what he needs. I will have to send his in the mail on Monday.
*  This is the choir singing for the service.  *

No comments: