Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Back to Daegu

The first alarm went off at 7:15. Chris got out of bed to have breakfast. I stayed in bed to wake up and mentally program myself for the day. When the 7:30 alarm went off, I got up to drink some water and have breakfast. Jane called to ask me to meet her a little early. So I rushed a bit to get ready and I forgot my market list. I rushed to the front gate but did not see her. So I called, and she said to meet her at the bus stop nearby. When I got there, the bus pulled up and she leaned off of it to tell me to get on. The timing was perfect. We rode the bus 'till it went around a traffic circle and then got off at the stop. We walked to the bus station. We waited for So Yong and then bought three tickets to Daegu. When the bus arrived, we boarded and, in an hour and 45 minutes, we were in Daegu. We took the escalator up to the gates to the monorail. We used our bus passes to get through. The attendant said I could not add money to my bus card there. Then we went up even higher and boarded the train for Seomun market. Neither Jane nor So Yong had been to the market before. We walked through, looking at all the goods and foods. I spotted a lace shop and went in. The ladies came too, but then decided to order pumpkin soup and red bean soup from a vendor while I shopped. It was a beautiful place. I got some flat lace and a lace insert for a neckline. So Yong bought something too, after they ate. Then we wandered around and finally found the building with fabric. I had a strip of the Carle dots, looking for a green and a yellow to match. We ran into the man selling for $2/yard, and bought some green. I got a few other pieces too, including a waterproof one for making a bag. We found a few others, but they did not have a yellow to match. I bought a yard of fleece/minki. Then we went to the fourth floor. We found a booth where the lady had just started a sale on flat folds - $1.50/yard. I got a few more selects. She had a yellow to match but somehow I suspected it wasn't bright enough. For the price, however, I settled. Then we went to the basement for lunch. We sat at the same place as last week and the waiter remembered me. We shared a kimbap and another dumpling dish. Then the ladies wandered around, looking at clothes. I had no interest, but tried to keep up when they were moving, and keep out of the way when they were shopping. The aisles were crowded and it was hard to get through. Jane bought a coat after much haggling and leaving and coming back. We rode the monorail back to the bus station. We bought tickets for the 4:40 bus, but it did not show up until 5. Then, it ran into so much traffic, that the ride home took over 2 hours. The bus was hot and I had to take off my coat and shoes. But So Yong was delightful to talk to. She promised to show us how to make eel soup. And lots of other stuff that I can't remember now. It was dark when we got to Jinhae. As Jane used the restroom, So Yong and I shared a baggie of cashews I found in my bag. God bless her, she had carried a bag for me all through the market. Jane led us to a bus stop where each of us could catch a bus. So Yong got hers first. Then Jane and I sat. I called Chris to ask him to meet me at the front gate. When the bus arrived, we both got on. But Jane did not get off when I did. As I walked toward the base, Chris was walking out. He carried my bags (all stuffed into a large bag that Jane had brought) up to our quarters. I was thirsty and drank a tub of water, then had some chicken and some acorn aspic for supper. I read some e-mail and listened to an audio on cancer prevention. Chris told me our household goods would be delivered next week. Then we watched another episode of Sharpe's Rifles. I laid out all the fabric and lace I bought today. Chris went to bed and I had a lot of writing to do to catch up on my blog.
* The lace shop *

No comments: