Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Making projects

I got up soon after the alarm went off. I was already awake because I heard Chris get up, but not his alarm. I read e-mail while drinking a quart of water. I asked Chris to open the bucket of coconut oil so I could use it to swish. I exercised. Looking out the window, I saw that our new neighbors had put out cardboard boxes for recycling. That reminded me to do the same. I filled our recycling containers and carried them out to the street. I brought in the food waste container that had been out since Saturday. Why the pick-up person doesn't pick up on schedule is beyond me. In putting the recyclables out, my back glitched. So I laid down for awhile. I thought about the five-day market being today but decided that going in the rain (yes, it's raining again) was just not worth it. Especially since I have been flirting with a headache ever since going out yesterday without a coat. I am training my body to thermoregulate. I put hydrogen peroxide in my ears to ward off any cold that might be coming. But there was no crackling sound so I figured I'm ok. I thought about going for a light walk, but every path or road goes uphill or downhill. I went into my sewing room to make some tissue covers. I chose a blue snowflake fabric and added some white lace. I made three. Then I went to the kitchen and shaved a quarter cup from a block of cacao butter. I did not have a double boiler, so I put it in one of the black Korean bowls and put it in the toaster oven. I shaved off more cacao butter for later. I got out the vanilla and honey and cacao powder. Shortly the butter was melted and I combined all ingredients. But the vanilla came out too quickly, so I doubled everything else. Then I poured it into an alphabet mold – the only mold I have – and put it in the fridge. Nela called to say they were going to the five-day market. The rain had stopped but I did not feel like going. Chris came home for lunch. I asked him to open the coconut oil bucket for me. He brought me mail, including a box from Swansons and a package from Old Navy. I opened the Swanson's box and put the items away, including the vitamin E which I was totally out of. Then I opened the Old Navy order, excited to see my new tee's. But even in the package, the necklines looked stretched out. I opened them and tried them on. The sizes were all over the place. The material was see-through with no body and the cut was boxy. They were not worth returning and I ordered them for cutting up like I had seen on Pinterest. I left an appropriate review on their site. I sat down with a piece of paper to draw up plans and measurements to make a bag to fit the cart I bought. Lots of the carts for sale have a covered, waterproof bag attached. So I cut out a cardboard bottom. I cut out two big pieces of fabric, one for outer and one for the lining. I cut two pieces for the flap and its lining. I sewing the big pieces into tubes. Then I had to determine where the corners of the bag would be to make the seam end up there. That took two tries. I sewed the flaps on, and then pinned the lining and bag right sides together. But there was no way to get the cardboard bottom in between the layers. Not without a really big opening. I decided to make the bottom stronger by adding another layer of cardboard. I stuck the two layers together with double-sided tape. Then Chris announced that the soup was hot. So I left it. I crunched up some seaweed and stirred it into the cabbage soup. That was very good. After supper I read all the Christmas cards we got today. Then I went back to the bag. I stitched around the pieces and turned the bag right side out. Then I top-stitched the hole shut. I made another opening for the drawstring. I needed another line of stitching for the casing, but the placement depending on what the drawstring would be made of. Chris was ready to watch TV, so we sat down and viewed Star Trek Generations. We checked e-mail one last time and went to bed.

No comments: