Wednesday, December 2, 2015

We hit the mother load!

I set an extra alarm to ring at 6:50am last night. I woke in the middle of the night to go potty. Then I had trouble getting back to sleep because of the rls feeling. I did some stretches and eventually went back to sleep. I woke up hearing the alarm. I got up and brushed my teeth. I took my vit C packets, and drank most of a quart of water. Then I finished making breakfast. I washed up the the sink because I did not want wet hair going outside. I ate breakfast and read and answered e-mail. I unplugged some appliances because the electricity will be down today. I decided not to put the recyclables out since there were so few of them. I did some mental programming for the day. Kurt skyped me. I had to cut it short to throw on my coat, grab my rolling cart and head out to Duffy's. I met Sue and Chaun. Nela and Myra were not far behind. Sue mentioned taking a taxi to the bus stop, but Myra said we could walk. It was further than I thought. We hustled to get to to the bus station in half an hour. Sue helped us buy tickets to Daegu. Then we sat back for the almost-two-hour ride. There were two stops and I used one for a potty break. That was good because the others went after we arrived in Daegu and the bathrooms were not as nice. Then we had to ride the subway to the market. Chaun and I had our bus cards, but the others did not bring theirs so they had to buy chits from the machine. Then we rode the train 5 stops to the market. And it was right there. So convenient. We walked through what looked a lot like Dongdaemun. Stopping for directions here and there, we found our way to the fabric floors, and then to a booth on the third floor selling flatfolds for 2000 won per yard. Quilting fabric for $1.80? You know I cleaned up. I don't know how that man made any profit at that price. So I tried to help him out by buying over 50 yards. I was glad for my rolling cart. We wandered around little. We found several more places selling fabric for 3500 won/yard. I even got some Eric Carle dot fabric! One lady looked at my patchwork purse and told Sue that those squares came from Daegu. Finally, we went down to the basement where little restaurants were set up. Sue asked around and found a place selling kimbap and bibimbap. They also gave us a collection of kimchis. It was delicious. Then we came up to street level and kept looking. I wanted to take pics but my hands were full of fabric bags. Myra stopped at a store full of Christmas decorations and bought a 100 yard roll of ribbon to make bows from. Then it was almost 3:30 and we thought to catch the 4:45 bus back to Daegu. But luck was with us. As soon as we got into the subway terminal, the car arrived. We rode it back to the bus terminal, and the 3:35 bus was late. We bought tickets and it arrived a minute after we walked out to wait. We had a nice ride back to Chinhae. We talked about taking a city bus back to base, but did not see it, so we walked. The other ladies helped me carry my fabric. We got back to Duffy's and two husbands were waiting. Sue's husband put my fabric in the back of his van and drove me up the hill to our place. It was so appreciated. I dropped my bags on the floor in the entrance. I made myself a salad and ate it in front of my laptop. I played around with the Jackie Lawson Advent Calendar; decorating the tree, the church windows and reading the books associated with days 1 and 2. When I noticed the time blinking on the stove, I knew the power had been out. I was glad to have been gone since having no lights, no heat, no internet, no sewing machine would have made for a much less enjoyable day. I went around checking the thermostats to see if they were back on. When I checked the one in the bedroom, I could not resist laying down for a few minutes. I roused myself to go back to the laptop. I read some more, and ate a piece of chicken. I read e-mail and watched episodes of Sanford and Son. All too soon it was time for bed.

No comments: