Sunday, February 26, 2017

A little bit of progress

I kept getting cold during the night. I got up to get a sheet of my own which Chris could not pull off. I told myself I would clear off the guest bed tomorrow so I could sleep in there if necessary.
I woke up in the dark and could not go back to sleep. Chris slept ok, so I am not sure why he stayed in bed late. I got up after nine and got some water. I put oil in my hair. I made hummus using the Magic Bullet. It did not work as well as I had imagined. Too much in the recipe. I took a shower and got dressed. I followed Chris out the door to the car. But Dynee stuck her head out and offered me a ride. So I went with her and her husband. He dropped us off at the chapel and parked the car. I sat with Kathy and her family, but they disappeared after communion to go to Sunday School. By then all the singing was done. The sermon was about Moses telling Pharaoh to let the people go; to which the answer was no. Moses then asked and still the answer was no. The chaplain said that God's command to Moses was more diplomatic than Moses made it sound at first. I wondered where he got that idea. After the service, I was talking to Suzanne when Chris arrived to pick me up. We talked about how the party yesterday went bad when the strobe lights came on and someone brought bottles of alcohol. I had missed that last part. Anyway, Chris and I walked to the commissary to get the car. And since we were already there, we walked inside to get our groceries. Later we walked out with bags of food which we put in the back seat. I drove us home and parked the car. We carried the food in together and put it away. I ate some cashews with ghee. Chris hardboiled eggs for the week. I ate the last of the seed crackers with the hummus that did not fit in the jar. I whipped up a new batch of seed crackers. While they were baking, I made a batch of chocolates. I pulled the piece of fabric Myra had traded me from the laundry. It and two other pieces had rolled up and become intertwined; which meant they dried very wrinkly. I ironed it as best I could. It took longer than I thought. Then I cut off a piece a little bigger than my quilt top. I laid it on the living room floor, pinning it to the rug when possible. I patted a piece of batting in place. Then I carefully placed the top over it. It was too big, so I sliced off half an inch from each border. Then I pinned the three layers together and unpinned the backing from the rug. I cut off the extra batting. I took a break to check e-mail and listen to some audios. I made a salad out of veggies that were getting soft. I put the carrot top in water, hoping it would sprout. I auditioned colors of thread for the quilt and decided on a cone of green. I made a little sandwich with the batting and some leftover fabric. I tried free-motion quilting it, but there were too many skipped stitches. I searched through my needle collection and found some marked specially for quilting. I put one in and tried again. This time it worked fine. But I did not like how dense the stitches were, nor how crooked the lines were. I went back to my laptop. I read e-mail and looked up some verses from Exodus. I ate a piece of the chocolate. A good batch. I stared at the quilt, not knowing how to quilt it. I tapped and I tapped: for not liking the quilt, for not knowing how to quilt it, for being disappointed with the whole project... I got the idea of quilting a big star in each block, but I doubted my ability to do it smoothly. Maybe some practice with an unthreaded needle? Chris and I watched three episodes of Merlin, finishing season 3. We dressed the bed with the sheets Chris washed today. Then he went to bed. I stayed up to put words to my day's experience.

No comments: