Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Frustration with FMQ

I woke up early, noticing that Chris was gone. I tried to go back to sleep for a long time. I got up to put out the food waste, but Chris had already done it. So I put away the baking from yesterday. Then I went back to bed. Chris came back around 7am, tired from a 2 hour weight workout. Apparently the guys he was lifting with were still going strong. He had to rush to get ready for work.
I got up, too. I checked e-mail, then made and ate breakfast. I listened to interviews while trying to do a 5 star Sudoku puzzle. For some reason, every one of them uses all my logic and still won't budge, forcing me to guess and work it through to see if the guess was right.
I got out the leftover batting. It was in an L-shape. I cut the long narrow part off and sewed it to the main part. Then I used it to sandwich the practice piece, using a Korean spray glue.
I tried free-motion quilting. It worked at first. I added the extension table to make the motion smoother. But then the thread shredded and got caught on the thread guides and skipped stitches. I changed thread, changed the needle, wiped the needle with alcohol, etc. Nothing worked. I tried stitching in the ditch and that was fine. It just seemed rather unimaginative. I put it down and read e-mail for a bit.
Myra called at 4:30 to say MWR was giving us money to buy supplies for class. So I got ready and walked to her place. She drove us to the MWR office building. I sat in the car, waiting. And waiting. I watched Brittany and Paul walk past the car to the office building. Apparently MWR had to hand the cash to Brittany directly, who then handed it to Myra. So then we drove out in town and parked by the market. We went to the fabric stand to get pre-quilted fabric, zippers and thread. He gave us extra zippers. Then we went to Daiso for felt and notions. We stopped at the won store for beads, but they did not have any. Then we went into the minki blanket store, looking for king-size blankets for a friend of Chris'. But they did not have blankets over 6' by 7'. I took pics anyway.
Myra dropped me off at my place. Chris had just gotten home. I made and ate a salad and then a pomegranate. As I ate, I read e-mail. One article was about scientists inserting human stem cells into pig embryos, which were then inserted into mother pigs for implantation. Most did not survive implantation, but over 100 did. The embryos were terminated at 4 weeks for study. I found that just a little disturbing.
We watched two episodes of Merlin. Chris went to bed, but I stayed up to catch up on e-mail and then post to my blog.
* Minki blanket *

No comments: