Thursday, February 23, 2017

Missed it by that much

I went to bed with my grounding cord on. I slept well and late. Maybe it helps to be alone. When I got up it was 8:45. I filled a container with a quart of water and drank it while reading e-mail. The box of Christmas gifts finally showed up – at Faye's house. I hope it enjoyed its trip around the world.
I texted Terri about going to the sauna but she was busy.
I unpacked the bags from the Busan market, except for the minki blankets. I left them as is. I put fabric in a pile to be washed, but there wasn't much. Some was for Myra and the class so I set that aside. I had a 6 yard piece of batting squished in a bag. I laid it out on the floor and rolled it up on the tube that my previous batting was on. I washed my feet.
I decided to go to the bank to get cash for exchange. I texted Terri but she did not respond so I called Myra. But I talked to her too long and the bank closed for lunch. So I worked on the border of the quilt until Terri called. She wanted to go along and see the process for exchanging money in town. She came to my house at 1:55. I put on my coat and grabbed a container of Epsom salts. I met her outside and we walked down the hill, running into Myra. She walked to the FFTC with us. But she went downstairs while we went into the bank. I got the cash from our account. As we came out, Myra was walking up. So then the three of us walked out in town to the NH bank. Myra went into the market for fabric and needles. Terri and I took a number from the bottom of the machine. We waited for some time. Myra came back and then decided to go to Office Depot. Terri and I waited for our number and then moved up to the desk. I handed over the cash and my passport. It took quite a while for the lady to make the exchange. And when she did, it did not seem like enough. But I did not have the language to question it. I put the won in an envelop and we hurried out to find Myra at the Office Depot. I got lost trying to get there, but eventually we made it. As we walked, I bid them good bye when we got to the massage place. They went to check out the Jinhae Tower. I went inside the massage shop. No one was there. I called out several times, thinking I heard someone breathing. Then I waited, and presently the lady came in from outside. She called out and a man appeared from the back. I think he had been sleeping. I selected a foot and shoulder massage. She charged me 40,000 won, which I paid. Then the man showed me a room to change into a massage outfit. I brought my fanny pack out with me after I changed. I sat in a chair and she put a bucket of hot water at my feet. While my feet soaked, I called up some classical music on my phone. I let it play while I closed my eyes. After 15 minutes, the man came out to massage my feet. He pushed a little too hard in some places but mostly it was relaxing. When he finished, I was shown into the little room where I laid face down on the bed. He covered me with a blanket and had my arms drape down over the sides. My hands got cold hanging like that. But the back massage felt good. A heat lamp on the wall kept us both warm. He sniffled a little as he worked and I sent him some healing energy. When it was over, he left and I re-dressed. I thanked him and the lady, then traded the slippers for my shoes. I walked outside where I noticed that the temperature had dropped and the wind picked up. Brr! I was glad to have two scarves. I walked back to base and up to the house. I took some vitamin C and made a salad. Myra called and we chatted for a little bit. Then I ate my salad while trying to read e-mail on the old laptop. The browser kept crashing. So I moved to the new laptop. As I tried to work in Waterfox, I kept getting a message that a website was slowing down my brower. I closed several windows but the situation did not improve. I moved over to Edge. Yahoo worked fine until I had to refresh the page. Then I had all the same problems. I gave up and went back to sewing. I put on the last two border strips. Then I trimmed the corners with my really large square.
And that's when I realized it was too big. It measured 43.5. Although I had batting that wide, the fabric I had chosen for the backing wasn't. I looked at other fabrics, but those that were just barely wide enough were not printed to the edge. I considered piecing a strip, but did not want a seam down the middle or a bunch of seams on the back. I considered a large nine-patch. I went through my small stack of 58 inch fabrics, but none of them were a compatible color. I considered minki. I considered slashing the fabric diagonally and re-sewing it to be shorter but wider. But a diagonal seam would look odd. Finally I found a sheet. It was green which was a good color, but it wasn't the right green to go with the binding. I considered other fabrics for the binding, but none were as good.
Chris came home, so I took a break. He looked at the quilt top and the fabric and did not know what I was obsessing about. I told him I got the three blankets for Nicole but I did not know how he was going to ship them to her. He said he would leave it to me. Ha, ha, ha. Then he went to bed. I took some magnesium and melatonin. I stayed up to obsess a bit more, then sat down to write up my blog post so I could go to bed.
* This little sprouting sweet potato was hanging on the wall in the restaurant in Busan. *

No comments: