Tuesday, February 28, 2017

New sewing project

Chris got up at 5 to work out for two hours. When he got back, he was in the mood. I do not know if he got to work on time.
I got up at 9:15. I drank a quart of lime water. I deleted the first round of e-mail and saw a message from my brother on Skype. We chatted by video and I shared my screen with him so we could fix the Windows 10 sound problem. It involved uninstalling a realtek file and a Nahimic file, then installing new ones. We had to move our conversation to my tablet because of the numerous reboots and lack of sound. Part of why it took so long was that the files were zipped and my new laptop came with a trial version of Winzip that has expired. We looked into Pkunzip but were unable to get a good copy. Nevertheless, we persevered and the problem seems to be solved. Time will tell as changing conditions challenge the new setup.
Chris came home for lunch just as Kurt was wrapping up showing me the new improvements to his house. I listened to a tapping audio from the 2017 tapping summit. I made and ate breakfast as it played. I also did two Sudoku puzzles, pausing to tap along.
Then I called Myra to talk about what we should have as a sewing project tomorrow. She didn't think it mattered. I decided the small pincushion was the easiest thing to make. I cut a five inch circle of fabric and made a running stitch all the way around. I stuffed it with leftover batting and cinched it shut. I put hot glue in the bottom of a bottle cap and pressed the puff ball into it. I held it there long enough to cool, then got a piece of lace to wrap around it. I hot-glued that, too. Then I stuck pins in the top. Myra called to tell me about the town hall tonight. I remembered that Chris had mentioned it last night, but I had forgotten. It wasn't on the Facebook page. I placed the pincushion against several fabrics and chose the green one. I photographed it and downloaded the pics to my laptop, where I cropped them. I wrote a blog post for the community page about the project and posted the best pic with it. I also sent it as an e-mail to those not on Facebook.
With that off my mind, I turned my attention to quilting. I practiced quilting a star inside one block without thread. I practiced it three times. I still did not feel good about it. I put on the homemade extension table and tried again. I wondered if it would help to secure the non-stick mat to the wood. The tape was not sticking. I tried a stapler, but the wood was too hard. I looked for thumbtacks but did not find any.
I took a break to put away all the Christmas stuff on the guest bed. Then I looked up quilting designs on Leah Day's site. Hundreds of them. I was looking for something continuous and large that I could easily and fluently stitch. One looked promising.
Then I put on my socks and shoes. Myra called to say she would pick me up for the town hall. I put on my coat and headed out. Dynee was just coming out and offered me a ride, but I had to decline. I crossed the street and Myra swung by. I got in and she drove us to the FFTC. She ducked into the commissary for a few things while I followed Dynee upstairs. I sat with Kim and we chatted until Myra came. The leader looked around and wondered why so few had shown up. Someone told him that there had been no notice of the meeting. The officer talked about the upcoming exercises and the influx of people for them. Then the head of CYP talked about the school closing and the other school options. Myra borrowed my pen to take notes. When it was over, I asked about the next round-up and found it was on Friday.
I waited for Myra and she gave Chris and I a ride home. I made a salad and Chris made himself a burrito. As I listened to an audio from the Age summit, I checked e-mail and looked at Gwenda's Facebook page. Her kids look so grownup. Then Chris sat with me and we watched an episode of Merlin. I wrote up my day in words. I posted to my blog, ready to go to bed.
* This project doesn't involve much sewing *

No comments: