Saturday, February 18, 2017

Setting the blocks

The Skype call came slightly after 11. I was sitting in front of my tablet with my blue-blocking glasses on. She was walking with whatever device she was using and for me it was like being on a roller coaster ride. Then the call dropped, so I just waited for her to call back. In a few minutes we were set. I came up with a memory and she guided me through a matrix reimprinting session. With a little chat afterward, it took about 2 hours. I figured I would sleep pretty well, but I still stayed awake for a while.
I heard Chris get up in the morning and take out the food waste. I intended to sleep in, but sleep would not come and I felt wide awake so I got up. I put dishes in the dishwasher and ran it. I sat down with a quart of lemon water to read my e-mail. My browser was locked up but I could still jot notes for my blog. I used the task manager to end Skype which solved the problem. I listened to Barry Manilow songs while reading e-mail and doing Sudoku puzzles. Chris left for work. I called up an audio but it had expired already. I crafted a response to a friend from NC. I made and ate breakfast. I read more e-mail and found at least 2 to unsubscribe from.
I went into my sewing room to finish sewing up the previous cut. Then I sliced the stack again, and paired each big section with a smaller section that had few if any common fabrics. I sewed them together, pressed, and stacked them. After 5 such cuts and pairings, I had 9 blocks with a sort of star shape in each one. I trimmed them up to 11.5”. Two were too short in one direction. I had to take off a section and re-sew it shifted to the right or left as needed to get the right dimensions.
Chris came home from work with bones and meat. He put the roast in the oven. I put the bones in the crock pot, along with bones from the freezer. I harvested water from the shower filter to fill up the pot. I turned it on high and went back to my project.
I laid out the blocks on different pieces of fabric to see what would make nice sashing and borders. Chris asked what I was doing and I said finding a good setting for my blocks. I had to explain what that meant. The quilt I was emulating had black sashing. But I did not have more that that and none of my other blacks were quite right. I auditioned some dark greens and found one I did like. I auditioned some bright-on-black for borders. One was better than the rest and I decided to audition it again after sewing the sashing. I cut 1 ¼ inch strips from the dark green. I sewed all the strips together. Then I carefully stacked up the blocks which had been laid out, swapped and turned for just the right effect. I started sewing them one by one to the sashing strip. Chris came to tell me the roast was ready. I wanted to finish sewing, but then he brought me a plate of chunks of rare meat and laid them on my sewing table. It was a kind gesture but at the wrong time. He took the plate back to the kitchen.
I finished sewing each of the blocks to the strip and placed them on the ironing board. I went to the fridge for strawberries. Then I sat at my laptop and listened to two tapping meditations. By then the strawberries had digested (presumably) so I ate the meat and listened to the third tapping meditation. It was very tasty. I pressed the blocks and cut them apart. Chris was ready so we watched two episodes of Merlin. And then I was ready for bed.

No comments: