Wednesday, February 22, 2017

In the market for blankets

I woke up at 5:50, checked the time, drank half my water and went back to bed. I did some tapping. I heard the laptop alarm sounding, very faintly, kind of like a cricket. I turned it off and saw it was 6:43, so the alarm had been ringing for 20 minutes. I called Chris, took a shower, got dressed, checked e-mail and made breakfast.
I texted Dynee to see if she was driving, and offered her a ride. She preferred to walk. So I drove myself and parked across from the commissary. The bus was waiting. I had my rolling cart and market bag and a large coconut water. I got another 100,000 won in case I found minki blankets. Then we got on the bus. As soon as everyone was on, the bus pulled out. We stopped at the front gate to pick up Chantel. Then we were on our way. So Young's older son did not come, so Myra gave her some money back. At that point we did not have enough to cover the bus fee and I felt bad for Myra. We chatted on the bus all the way there. It took over an hour. The bus drove past the market and pulled up to the curb to let us out. We got out in the rain and walked back to the market. We walked around back and then entered the building. At first we tried to stay together but we were all looking for different things. Chantel helped me talk to a lady selling blankets, some were minki. But the ones I liked belonged to someone else, I guess, because she made a phone call and said the owner was taking a taxi. We waited far longer than I wanted to, especially since it was the first place I had seen. The owner arrived and the discussion began. The opening price was 100,000 won, but she backed down to 90 if I paid cash. I asked for a volume discount. For three she was willing to go down to 80,000 each. I wondered if I would find a better price or selection at another stand, but on the other hand was satisfied with what she had and wanted to be done with the matter. I ended up paying for three but leaving them to her to put in zippered bags for later. Chantel and I circled the inside of the building and found the others in the addition. We started referring to it as the cotton corner. We did a lot of looking and hemming and hawing. I did not find anything like any of the swatches I brought. I bought some thin fusible batting because it was only 2000 won a yard. Later I bought some white pre-quilted fabric that was 1500 a yard. I also found some whale fabric for Myra.
When we were all together again, we went to lunch. There was a nearby restaurant which was small and crowded but they sat us in a line against the wall. Myra and I got kimbap since we had brought our own snacks. I took out the yellow colored radish pieces. It was very good with the kimchi. Then we went back to the market. We had a little over an hour to spend before the bus came. We walked around looking at this and that. One of us came across a box market “1000 won”. Our little group bought a lot of fabric from that pile, but still did not make a dent in it. Myra had to borrow money to pay for hers. We whittled away some more time. Some of us looked downstairs at the blankets in the basement. They were not quite as nice but were only 60,000 won. I wondered if I should have waited. Dynee found a gray and white one that was cotton that she just loved for 55,000. So Young went to meet her mother and decided not to come back with us. Then Chantel and I went to pick up the blankets I bought earlier. They were big and packaged separately. There was no way I could have carried them myself, but the others helped. We sat on benches between the buildings. It was cold because technically it was outside, but the passageway made it seem like inside. I drank the last of my coconut water. We talked until it was time to meet the bus. Then we found our way out the same way we came in, which was probably the long way. We walked out to the main street and then turned right and walked several blocks until we found the bus waiting. Even though we were 10 minutes early, everyone was ready to go. The bus was very quiet on the way back. I think we were all tired. I handed lip balms to Irene and Lacey, and offered every one a ride. When the bus stopped in front of the commissary, we all got off. Myra went to the commissary, but Dynee and Lacey put my stuff in the trunk and got in my car. I dropped Lacey off first. Then I parked in Dynee's spot since there was a golf cart in mine. Don't know whose it was. She helped me carry the blankets to my house and then went to hers. I brought everything in and put the snacks back in the fridge. I ate some strawberries and an apple, along with my daily allotment of nuts. I sat down to read e-mail. I got sleepy and dozed off, waking up occasionally to change position. It was hard to get comfortable. After about 2 hours, I looked up food combining, thinking maybe fruit and nuts are not good to eat together. But the article I found said it was ok. I had some of the remaining beef, and nothing else, just in case. I went to my sewing room to finish the sashing on the squares. I had to cut one more strip and it was just EXACTLY enough. Amazing. Then again, one part was wavy and I had to take it out and resew, which allowed me to cut off a ¼ inch. Then I took the quilt top to my cutting table to audition borders. I threw in some binding, too. I was undecided and thought it might look better in the morning. I went back to my computer. I saw that Chris had left a message to call him – 2 hours ago. I texted him on skype and when he did not answer, I figured he had gone to bed. So I posted to my blog and hit the hay.

No comments: