Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A complicated day

I got up around 8:30, having slept quite well. I wondered if it was due to the evening primrose oil. I only had a few hot flashes and they were mild. I sewed two patches together and put up my hair. I turned on the router and started reading e-mail and drinking lemon water. I folded some laundry.
At 9:30 I got dressed and went to quilting. They were making strip blocks again. So many ladies were participating, that there were no outlets available in the sewing area. So I found one in a far corner. I showed off my red quilt top, almost finished. Beverly wasn't far behind me and so we pulled a table over to our corner and set up our machines. I got some strips, a piece of batting and a piece of backing. It turns out I had enough to make three blocks. Beverly had to leave early, but I stayed to put up the table and talk to Anita. When I trimmed my last block, I did something to her rotary cutter that made it stable again. I watched her cut out block backings. She had a strip that wasn't quite wide enough to get the untrimmed size cut out. But I figured I could make them work, so she cut out squares for me to take home and work on. I got some batting that needed piecing as well. Then I packed up my machine and left.
On the way home, I stopped by the Asian store for a package of kimbap. Then I went two doors down to the Korean doctors' place. I gave her some information she had asked for last week. She took off my bandaid and stuck a needle in my tick bite site. She talked about how many patients she had in California and how few here, and that the location wasn't good. I told her she needed a Facebook page; that there are other ways of advertising but they are expensive. She asked me if I knew how and I said sort of. Setting up a page for the Monday quilters was easy. So she had me sit at her computer to make a page. The problem was that her operating system and browser were all in Korean. I had to have her read the different bits to me. It was a lot harder that way. When it asked for a pic, we went outside. She took one of the storefront. I tried to upload the pic from her phone to her laptop but my cord did not transfer data, only power. So I brought her outside and took a pic with my phone of her standing at the door. It was just after 1 and I had to leave. I told her I would be back after my dental appointment.
I went home. I ate some kimbap with a small amount of kimchi (so as not to offend the dentist any more than necessary). I took a pic of the book I bought for Pat and e-mailed it to her. Then I signed into Facebook and started making a business page. Pat called and said she could not copy the pic I sent so she wanted to pick up the book. I told her I had a dentist appointment at 2. That's when I realized how late it was. I jumped up, brushed my teeth, and headed out.
I went to the dentist. I arrived exactly at 2. I sat down with a book, but did not get far before my name was called. The hygienist took me to a room. She put a bottle of mouthrinse on the counter for me and went to get a heated neck pillow, blanket, and knee pillow. I poured out the mouthrinse and filled the cup with water. I rinsed with the traces that were left. Then I sat in the chair, which had a vibration mat on it. I turned it on. It vibrated from one section to another continuously. She came back, covered me with a blanket and put the heated pillow behind my head and the big pillow under my knees. Then she laid me back and started cleaning.
We had a conversation about the effect of cleaning on enamel. She measured my gum pockets and said they were all good except the one by the broken tooth. When the dentist came in, she reviewed the notes from my last appointment and asked for intraoral pics of the broken tooth. So I had to move to another room for that. When she had taken them, she showed me the situation and said my last molar had changed quite a bit in the last 6 months. It looked like a crater in the top of my tooth. Probably some of the filling broke off. There was a crack running through the filling and a chip off of the tooth. She recommended a crown and said it would take two appointments and that crown technology had come a ways since my first one. Putting a crown on the last tooth would allow the tooth in front of it to last longer. It sounded good, but I wondered if there was something I was forgetting to consider. I went up front to pay and make an appointment. But I noticed it was 3:30 already so I just paid and left.
I went home. Chris had just arrived. I finished eating the kimbap. I added the pics to the Facebook page and got it live. I texted Pat that I was home but had to leave again. Pat called me later to ask me to leave the book on the front porch so she could pick it up even if I wasn't home.
I drove to the acupuncture place. It took longer than usual because of heavy traffic on Patton. But they were both in the office and without patients. I showed them a screenshot of the page I made with the pics I took. I took pics of the two of them together. She did not like my pics so she had me take more with her camera. She also wanted me to take down the pics I posted of her and replace them. She texted me pics and waited until they appeared on my phone. I spoke to them about the missing pieces of information for the Facebook page. They gave me some information but not all I wanted. At 5 they were getting ready to go, so I got ready to leave. She insisted that I keep track of my time so she could pay me $10 an hour. I waved off the thought of money but she insisted. I suggested payment in kind, but she insisted cash was the only way to go.
I went home. I sat at my laptop and looked for the pics on my camera. It turned out I had to 'download' them to the phone first and THEN transfer them to my laptop. Technology is supposed to make things simpler – right? Anyway, once I had the pics, I had to figure out how to upload them to the Facebook page and put them in the proper places. I replaced the pic of her standing in front of the business with one of the business without her. I thought it looked better with her as a focal point, but she thought it looked like she was running a restaurant. I tried to find her personal Facebook page and befriend her, but could not. Probably only accessible in Korean.
I made my breakfast and ate it. I wrote down some estimates of how long I had worked on her page. I mowed the yard, then washed a load of salad greens. I ate one bowl of salad while reading e-mail. When Chris was ready to watch, I put the rest of the greens in my bowl. We watched the next episode of Inspector Lynley. Chris made his sandwich and went to bed. I made kava tea and took my evening supplements before sitting down to write my blog post.

No comments: