Sunday, May 27, 2018

Sleepless in Bristol

It was a long and sleepless night, sopping wet. I called the front desk, hoping to get some earplugs, but they did not have any. They offered to switch our room, but I declined because Chris was already asleep. So I moved the furniture around until I could open the couch into a bed. I found some sheets and blankets in the closet. But I could not walk around the bed to make it, so I just used the top sheet half under me and half over me. But the unending series of hot flashes kept me from sleeping.
When I noticed a little dawn coming through from the bedroom, I crawled in bed with Chris, just to have dry sheets. The traffic was not so bad and I got some sleep. When Chris woke up, I told him about my night and he said we could get a different hotel next time. He had a spoon in his backpack so I put coconut milk on my prepared breakfast and ate it. He ate some hard boiled eggs and chips that Herberth had bought but not taken with him. We both took showers and got dressed.
About 9:30 EST we got on the road to Richmond. We finished the first book on tape and started a second one. Dad called to ask about buying food for us. I called William to find out what restaurants he and Karen like to eat at. The beginning of our trip was in the rain, but once the sun came out, it was sunny all the way to Chester. We arrived at his parent's house mid-afternoon. We greeted them and brought in our stuff. We sat in the den doing puzzles and talking until suppertime. Then we went to Rosa's in Chester. I got a greek salad. They heaped the feta cheese on, so I gave some of it to Chris. We had a good time talking. Two bottles of wine were consumed, but not by me.
Then we went back to their house. The sun was low in the sky. I wanted to go for a walk, so Alfred came with me and we did maybe half an hour. He showed me their garden, all tomatoes and a row of tiny lettuce. Shortly after we got back, Cecily went to bed. The three of us stayed up to talk, mostly politics. I got really tired, so finally we went to bed and I did not stay up to post to my blog.

No comments: