Saturday, May 19, 2018

Dyeing to make new colors

I got up before 8. I finished sewing the Velcro on Michele's doublet. I checked e-mail and listened to audios. I made breakfast and ate it. I chose something to wear: polyester pants (won't take dye) and a green shirt that had bleach spots on it.
Around 12:20 I left for class. I memorized the route and got to Trina's house by 12:45. I guess I would have had time to stop at a yard sale, but thought the trip would have taken longer. I parked out front. There was a sign on the door to go 'round back for the fabric dyeing class. The tables were set up with fabric and boxes of baggies and measuring cups with syringes. Jennifer got us going on marking the bags from 1 to 18 and putting a fat quarter in each one. We were directed to put 40ml of water in each bag and make sure the fabric was thoroughly wet. At some point we wrote our names on a half yard piece and threw it in a bowl of soda ash to soak. Then she split the class in half. One half started dying the fat quarters while the other half watched her do demonstrations. I watched. She rolled a big piece around a pool noodle and secured it with zip ties. Then we got to squirt different colors of dye on it. Then she filled a pan with shaving cream. We poured yellow and blue dyes on it and combed it around, then laid a piece of fabric on top. I wish I had a pic of that. Finally, we each pulled out our half yard and spread it on a large sheet of plastic. Then she gave us three bottles of dye – tangerine, red and blue. I squirted away, as did the others. But I did not like the way mine came out. I scrunched it up to see it that would help, but it didn't.
Anyway, then it was our turn to dye the fat quarters. That's when I stopped taking pics. There were three containers of dye – yellow, red, and blue. The first fat quarter got all yellow, next was 5/6 yellow and 1/6 red, then 2/3 yellow and 1/3 red. And so on until all 18 were sitting in dye water. Then we went back and added soda ash water to each one and sealed them. All of those bags went into a bigger ziplock bag. I retrieved my half yard and immersed it in a puddle of green dye from someone else's project. I figured the greener, the better. I put it in a baggie and then into the larger baggie. I helped to clean up, and then said my thankyou's and goodbye's.
When I got home, I put the dye bags in a big bowl on front porch. She said to let them soak for 4 to 6 hours and it occurred to me that it would be dark by then. I read e-mail, and made big salad just as the men came home from a movie. I changed shirts and put the green one with bleach spots in a matching dye bag and crossed my fingers. Then I listened to an interview on the home death movement. I had no idea that it is legal to clean the dead loved one and put them in a compostable casket and bury it in the ground, where the body and box will decompose. No vault or embalming needed.
Then I went for a walk. I saw lots of queen anne's lace blooming. There were deer tracks in the mud. I also went a slightly different way and saw some pink flowers growing by a parking lot. I wondered if it used to be a homestead. On the way back, I saw a police car, just sitting in the road. I wondered who they were looking for or trying to deter.
When I got back, I finished an interview. Herberth talked to us for a bit, then went to take his shower. We watched an episode of Inspector Lynley. Then we dressed our bed with clean sheets. I sat down to write up my blog post, knowing that I still needed to rinse out all those pieces of fabric.

No comments: