Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Missing money

I got up at 7:30. I sewed two patches together, then turned on the router. I drank lemon water while deleting e-mail. Then I read while listening to an interview. I watched a dowsing video. I collated the recyclables and took them out. I printed out two of the spreadsheets due tomorrow. I got dressed and headed to quilting.
Anita and Susan and Linda(?) were making dog beds while the other ladies chatted. I offered to bring my machine in, but Anita said they needed stuffing more than sewing. I went out to bring in my iron so the other ladies could look at the caddy and see if they wanted to make one some day. Then I started stuffing the pillowcases that Anita was sewing. Susan helped me. We were stuffing them with fabric scraps people had donated for that purpose. But there were strips and partial blocks and Anita said it was ok to take a few pieces, so I did. I got some dark blue corduroy for a project I have been planning almost since I got married. Anyway, once all the pillows were stuffed, I sat down and stitched a bunch closed. We swept up and packed up. Beverly and I agreed to meet at her house. She gave me some money for kimbap.
I went to the Asian store and bought two containers of kimbap. The lady asked me if I could count in Korean. So I tried, but I mixed up the two counting systems. Still, she said I did well. Then I got in my car and drove to Beverly's house. She was inside fixing something for supper later. I put her package of kimbap and change on the table. We went into her third bedroom. I sat on the bed while she cleaned out her closet. I really did not do anything but make comments here and there, but she said she got it done because I was there. Then we went for a walk around her neighborhood. We even talked to one of her neighbors. When we got back, we drank water to cool down and chatted. Then I made my goodbyes and got in the car to go to the farmer's market. But she offered me some flannel to go with a piece of fleece to make the second baby blanket. So I locked my purse and stuff in the car and went back in the house. She brought out the flannel and I chose a piece. Then I really had to go so she could get ready for work.
I took the parkway to Whitesburg and then to the farmer's market. Had the constructioni on the parkway been finished, I might have done it in 10 minutes. It was already in progress. I wandered through the tents. Several places had strawberries, but no one said their's was organic. One stand had no line, so I spoke to the man in charge. He said the gallon basket was $14.00. We talked about what was sprayed on them. I decided it was as good as I was going to get. At least they were fresh. But when I opened my wallet, all my 20's were gone. I could not find my phone, either. I counted out the remaining bills and got to $13. He said he would accept that. So I bought them, but was quite concerned about the missing money – over $300. Since there were signs around proclaiming they take credit cards, I continued down the row. I stopped at the goat farm booth. I asked about goat milk and he said I would have to call and order it for next week. I wasn't sure why I couldn't just say so now, but...I took a paper with the number on it. I must have told him I had no money because he slipped me a small container of goat cheese. So sweet. I took the berries back to my car and headed home, hoping my phone was lying on the dining room table.
I stopped by the bank and took out cash for my appointment tomorrow. I could not wait to get home. I went through the day mentally and realized I still had it when I gave Beverly her change. So either someone broke in and stole it (and I will never see it again), or I dropped it in her kitchen, which means I can get it back, but I will feel really stupid. I hoped there was a way I could get it back without feeling dumb. When I got home, I checked my phone and saw a message from Beverly. She had found the missing money. Praise the Lord! I was composing a text reply when she called. Apparently I had pulled out all of it, counted out her change, put that in my wallet and the rest on the table. She agreed to hold it until tomorrow afternoon when I could come get it.
I ate the rest of the kimbap with kimchi. I ate some tempeh and a few slices of plantain. Then I listened to podcasts while reading e-mail. Then I turned my attention to the spreadsheets.
Chris came home from work after 5. He cut up the beet greens to make soup, then changed his clothes. I printed out more spreadsheets. Two of them needed a list of people currently serving (according to Ron). It was tough to make all the data fit on one sheet. I had worked my way through most of it when Chris told me the soup was ready. I put some in a bowl and sliced up mushrooms on top. It was really hot so I stirred it around to cook the mushrooms. One of the interviews I listened to recently said to only eat mushrooms cooked. They were delicious – a word that doesn't usually cross my mind when I think of beet greens.
8pm rolled around. We watched two episodes of Enterprise. Chris collected the garbage and took it out to the curb. I put clean bags in all the trash recepticals. I asked him to pull out a heavy sewing machine from the closet. I am thinking that the foot pedal on that one will be more consistent than the one I am using now. I sat down to write my blog.
* This is the red project which I sometimes talk about. *

No comments: