Saturday, May 5, 2018

Preparing for a guest

I got up at 9:30, not surprising since I went to bed so late last night. I sewed two patches together. Chris was already up and had the router on. I got dressed, then read e-mail and listened to interviews from Bible Health Secrets and then from The Food Revolution. I made and ate breakfast. Chris moved all the plants outside. He brought the large tomato plants from the front yard to the back yard in hoped that whatever is biting them will not find them in the back.
Around noon I headed out, sewing gear in my trunk. I passed a church whose sign said “Flea market this Saturday”. It looked deserted, but I turned in anyway. I went around back to turn around, and there were the people and some stuff. So I parked and went inside. The lady at the table gave me two paper bags and said it was $1 for all I could stuff in a bag. So I went around the fellowship hall, looking at the various items. I threw in some screwdrivers. I found some fabric. There was a sewing box with cheap thread and tiny things. I took that. I found some bulletin board paper. (I don't have a bulletin board, but it is really big paper, bigger than packing paper.) I took my treasures to the front table and paid $2. Then I put them in my trunk.
From there, I went to the Sew Day for the local modern quilt guild. It was out near my church. I drove around the library and parked. Then I rolled my machine and gear to the back door. I waved at the group to let me in, and they did. I sat with them while they ate lunch. Then I set up my machine. There was nothing there for me to work on, so I finished the quilt top from Blanket Daze. It turned out rather well, considering how varied the sizes of blocks were. I gave a piece of fabric from the church sale to Amanda to use for a backing for a charity quilt.
I packed up at 4:30. I went to the dollar store across the street, looking for whirligigs to keep critters out of my tomato plants, but they did not have any. Then I went to Lowes. I looked at all their tempting flowers and veggie plants. I settled for some tomatoes (indeterminates to replace the determinates I got at Publix), a pepper and some petunias. I paid with a gift card. I put the plants in my back seat and went home.
Chris had done the laundry and run the dishwasher. He had cleared a small space at the dining room table for Herberth. I made two salads and ate them. I read e-mail and listened to the rest of the episode from the Food Revolution. They were promoting veganism again. When Chris was done with supper, he put on the next episode of Inspector Lyndley. It was over about 8, so we started the next one and paused it at 8:30. Chris reviewed his route, then left to pick up Herberth at the Birmingham airport. I heated up some beef and beets and mushrooms, while searching the garage for guest towels. I ate while listening to something. Then I walked around the house, picking up things and putting them out of the way. I found our guest towels in the garage, but the matching wash cloths were not there. I looked for them with no success. I put a good tan towel in the hall bath with a not-so-good tan washcloth. I cleared more of the dining room table and wiped it down. I dusted in several places. I moved two sewing machines out of the guest room and cleared the top of the cabinet machine in case he needed a place to put something.
I sat down to write my blog. Chris said they wouldn't return until after midnight, so I just went to bed.

No comments: