Thursday, January 3, 2019

A long day puts us half way

It was hard to fall asleep with my father puttering around the house all night – until 4 or 5 by his account. Chris had retired to the back bedroom around midnight, which was a wise decision. I must have slept at some point because I dreamed that I told my dad I was never coming back because I couldn't get any sleep. It was 9:45 when I got up.
Chris got up about the same time. While I was in the bathroom, he took the blankets and sheets off of the hide-a-bed. I put them in the washer. I found a can of WD-40 and oiled all the squeaky doors and knobs. There was nothing I could do about the squeaky floors, but the next time Dad pulls an all-nighter, it should be quieter.
I could not brush my teeth because Dad had my toothbrush. When I showed it to him last night, he thought I was giving it to him and I couldn't say no. He really liked the design, and I have better ones at home.
Dad asked me to fix some buttons on his shirt. He said they were hanging by a thread. Upon examination, I saw that the buttons were fine, but the holes were frayed. I repaired two of them. Another one had been repaired very strangely and I would have had to take all those stitches out in order to fix it properly. Much of that shirt had been mended by hand and it needed more. I convinced him he should buy a new shirt. I had just put the laundry in the dryer so we only had not quite an hour. It wasn't enough time to run to the mall. So I found something online at Sears and, with his permission, ordered it.
Then Dad asked me to call and confirm his appointment next week. I thought it was at Sheltering Arms, so I called them. They said his appointment was at the end of the month. I wrote it down. Dad said to call Johnston-Willis, and they had him on the roll for next week for a blood draw. After a discussion, she talked to the doctor and said Dad should come in May instead. So I wrote down that new appointment in his book and on his calendar.
I pulled the sheets from the dryer. Chris and I folded them and he put them away. I realized it was time to leave and I hadn't had breakfast so I grabbed an apple from the fridge. Dad was concerned about an error message that he got when shutting down his computer. So he and I went through the process. No error message, but it did download an update. Chris loaded the car while I looked around to grab last minute things. We hugged my dad goodbye. Chris programmed the GPS in the driveway and we headed out.
We listened to more Sherlock stories all the way from Richmond to Bristol. I was amazed that by my account, we had heard 9 hours of stories all from one CD. And it wasn't over yet. We ate hard boiled eggs and banana cookies on the way. I had a few seed crackers, too.
We checked into the hotel around 5:30 and carried one load of stuff up to the room. Then we went to Logan's Steakhouse. They did not have hot tea, so I asked for warm water. What I got was a glass of cold water without ice. I had an empty water bottle in my purse, so I filled it with hot water from the women's restroom.
Our orders arrived, consisting of steak and sweet potato. I had a mushroom skewer, and he had broccoli. My steak was a little more rare than I wanted. Later I asked for hot water, and she offered to bring me hot tea. However, when it came, it was sweetened, so I did not drink it. Then she brought me hot water, but it was too hot to drink right away.
After getting a to-go box and paying the bill, we went back to the hotel. We carried up a second load. I went to the hotel desk to get a toothbrush. I also reported a very loose outlet, but the clerk seemed uninterested in filing a maintenance order. Chris and I read e-mail for a bit. I felt a headache coming on so I postponed my Skype call with my tapping buddy. A little after 8 EST, Chris connected his laptop to the hotel TV and we watched three episodes of Lost in Space. Then he shut his laptop down and went to bed. I stayed up to sew and type up my blog.
* This pic shows the two-color binding I am using on this quilt. *

No comments: