Wednesday, January 2, 2019

And Dad continued eating

I fell asleep a little sooner than the previous night. So when I woke up hearing footsteps overhead, it did not bother me as much. I went back to sleep and woke up to footsteps again later. Chris got up and went upstairs. I took a shower, then swished and sewed for a bit. I got dressed and took my breakfast box up to the kitchen. I made breakfast and took the box down again. Then I went up to eat breakfast and read e-mail.
Marie came down with the dogs and took them for a walk. Al went along. About the time they came back, I left my laptop and went down to pack. I got everything together and repacked my suitcase. Chris came down to strip the bed for Cecily to wash the sheets. Then he packed the car. He had lunch while I tried to finish one last game of Solitaire. Then I shut down my laptop and put it in the case. We hugged Marie, Al and Cecily, then got in the car and headed to Richmond.
We listened to more of the CD of Sherlock Holmes stories. I slept through part of one, maybe more. It was a good rest. We got to Dad's house about 3:30 I think. We went inside to let him know we were here. I talked to him while Chris brought in the luggage. Dad told me about the extra kale. Then he went to the bathroom. While he was gone, I got out his brown bib. I took pics of it with a tape measure so I could make another one. The sad part is that I made the first one, but I don't remember how I did it. While I was at it, I also wiped it clean.
I called Faye and she said she'd be over after some errands. I ate some cabbage soup that Chris had made last week. Dad said he was still working on breakfast. He was up to the fruit and then moved on to crackers with peanut butter. We talked about laundry. He showed me the bag he had collected, plus a kitchen towel. I suggested that his pants needed washing, too. So he asked me to pick out a clean pair from his closet. After he emptied all his pockets and changed his pants, I did a load of laundry.
While the laundry was washing, Faye came over. We had a nice chat and I amended the check that she brought back. I put the clothes in the dryer. When they were dry, I hung up Dad's shirts and pants and put his socks with the other clean socks. I also had some of Chris' clothes too. Dad told us he had a mouthful of denture adhesive and talked about rinsing with warm water. Faye poured warm water in his cup and he swished three separate times. But it did not all come out. He used a spoon to get it off of his lips. I mentioned the powdered kind might be easier for him to apply and not get too much. I helped Faye put the table top tree back in the attic. Then she had to go home and get some sleep for her late shift tonight at the hospital.
Dad was eating with his left hand. (He had moved on to supper.) I put a red handle on his fork to see if he could eat with his right hand. And it seemed he could. So I put a red handle on a pen and he practiced writing his name. It went ok, but he took a primidone and that might have made a difference.
While he practiced, I found myself in two texting conversations, with Kurt and with Jennifer. It never rains but it pours. Then I told Chris I wanted to go to Food Lion and get some powdered denture adhesive for Dad. So he drove me up there, but they were closed. So then we went to WalGreens across the intersection. They had lots of denture creams, but only one powder and it was sold out. Then I selected a package of hair ties for me, and a brand of CoQ10 for Dad. It was BOGO, so I got two bottles. We went to the checkout counter. I was quite taken aback when the total was $87. Yikes! But she said something about a special number needed to get the BOGO price. I had to enter my phone number and zip code. Then the price came way down. Finally we finished and went next door to the gas station to fill up.
When we got back, I told Dad that the powdered adhesive was sold out. I handed him the CoQ10 but he was too skeptical to take it. He wanted to ask his doctor about it first. That was fine with me but I hoped he would remember to do that.
When I noticed the time, I brushed and swished. I sat down to write my blog. I was almost finished when Dad came over to talk. He started by talking about Michele, but we covered a range of subjects. I read info on CoQ10 from the NIH website to him. He seemed to like what he heard. We looked at his driver's license to see when it expires. Then the conversation turned to other things and finally food. Chris made the couch into a bed while I wrote the rest of my blog and Dad continued eating.

No comments: