Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Another nice day, but not for long

I left my phone in the dining room so it would not wake me up in the morning. Instead, I was awakened by hot flashes. Sigh. What would it take to get a solid night's sleep? So I was awake to hear my phone alarm go off in the distance. I got up soon after. I brushed and swished and sewed another patch on Chris' jeans. I boiled water for tea and soaking nuts. I read e-mail. The pharmacist called and I asked questions about the testosterone. She assured me that none of the hormones would make brain fog worse.
I printed out some sheets for counting the offering. But the printer was low on ink and the copies were bad. I put some hand projects in my bag, and took all the money-counting stuff with me. I got in the car and went to quilting.
When I got there, there were lots of bags of fabric scraps on the table and the ladies were chatting. I looked for Beverly, but Anita said her father died this morning and she was preparing to go there to make arrangements. I got in a conversation with Robin and Jodi. I worked on the rug until I ran out of yarn. Then I texted Beverly to let her know I was thinking of her. I pulled out a quilt and resumed work on the binding. My watch was coming off, so I put a pin in it and that seemed to hold.
Eventually the group broke up. Beverly called and explained about her father. Then I helped Anita go through the bags of scraps for the dog beds. There were some unsuitable things to be found. Also, there were fabric strips that could be used for strip quilts and some orphan blocks. I took some batting trimmings to stitch together and later thought I must be crazy to think I need more.
When everything was put in the little room, I got in my car and went to the Asian store for kimbap. I took it home and ate it with kimchi. It must be a month since I last had it. I opened the front and back doors for fresh air while I ate. Then I headed to the church. On the way I stopped at a small Asian store for fresh young coconuts. They were 2/$3. I was tempted to buy 4 instead of just two.
When I got to church, the recently-retired pastor was just leaving with a few last things from his office. I went inside and saw his office was empty. I dropped off a bag of hotel soaps for the homeless. Then Lars arrived. I got the offering from the safe and we sat at the pastor's desk and sorted and counted it. I read out the numbers and he wrote them on the sheet. Then I added and he wrote that down. I stamped checks and he filled out deposit tickets. Then he had to go.
I put on my wi-fi smock and sat at the computer to enter all the info. Tim had asked me to make a separate batch for any checks with a 2018 date on them. So I did, and that kind of messed me up. After I did the two batches and printed the reports, I added them together and they did not tally with the deposit tickets. I went over the info to discover that I had omitted one entry. So I had to print the reports all over again. Sigh. But then I was done, and headed to the bank.
The teller worked slowly, presumably because her check scanner wasn't working well. It was after 5 when I left. I went straight home. I brought in the mail, which included a small package. There was another package on my laptop from the post office. I opened them both. One had vitamin C packets and the other had testosterone, estrogen and progesterone. Then I had to decide between eating breakfast or eating supper. I chose breakfast because I won't get it tomorrow. I made my breakfast and followed it with the rest of the sweet potato from last night.
Then I got my coat and purse. I went out the front door, and covered the plants with plastic. I drove to church. I put the bank bag back in the safe. Will was there, placing boxes of tissues around. I wondered if he had such bad news that we would need tissues.
He started the meeting just after 7. Ron, the previous chairman, was there, too. And Tim and Portia. We discussed time and talent sheets, and now they've requested copies of the sheets I printed 8 months ago. Tim will want reports emailed to him beginning in Feb so he can do his reports. We discussed other things, too. Will kept the meeting to about 40 minutes. Tim and I talked on the way out. He gave me info I needed to make a change on the computer. So I went to the office. After he left, I knew I had two changes to make, and couldn't think of either. I sifted through my papers until the first one came to me. I made the change for December 16. Then I rearranged my offering papers until the second one came to me. That change was in the Dec 31st file. Feeling much better, I shut down the computer, turned off all the lights and left, locking the church behind me.
I was afraid of being late, but I got home well enough before 9. I brought in the poinsettias because the temp is predicted to go down to 37 tonight. I took my evening supplements while Chris cued up Netflix. We watched two episodes of Lost in Space. Chris went to bed and I brushed my teeth and sat down to write my blog post.
* Jane made this wallhanging from the picture on the left. *

No comments: