Thursday, January 31, 2019

A step forward

I tried sleeping in the recliner at Dad's but it wasn't as comfortable as a bed. Then I accidentally hit the vibrate button. That was lovely! But it didn't last. Finally I turned off the router and printer, and slept in the back bedroom.
I must have fallen asleep pretty fast. I woke up from a dream, hearing a rustling sound behind the bed. That got my attention. I got up and put together an outfit for Dad. I chose a blood donor t-shirt because so many people come to take his blood. I made breakfast and packed a lunch. As I left in the car, I stopped to pick up the mail.
I think I reached the hospital around 4:30. It was below freezing and I had to buzz security to let me in. Thankfully it only took a minute or two. I rolled my carry-on up to the 5th floor to Dad's room. It was dark and quiet. I saw Dad in bed and a blanket-wrapped figure on a reclining chair – which wasn't there when I left. I quietly sat in a chair next to Faye and spoke softly to wake her up so she could go home. But it was Kevin that answered. I was so thankful that he came and Faye was at home sleeping. I sat quietly, hoping he would go back to sleep and I could fall asleep. But he checked his phone and tablet, exposing the room to bright blue light. He paced back and forth. He told me how the night nurse had brought the reclining chair up from another floor for him.
Dad started pulling his gown off. Thankfully there were no IV's or heart leads to pull at. He was not in a state of reason. He tried to pull the gown over his feet like pants. So I took the gown and handed him a pair of Depends. He put that on and calmed down.
Kevin took me to the small cafeteria to show me the snacks and drinks and coffee machine. I spotted a piano in the corner and suggested he come sometime with his dulcimer and play for the patients. He started playing the piano (at 6am). I was so embarrassed that I went back and sat by Dad. He was back before long.
I sat back to doze, but a tech came in to test Dad's blood sugar, waking him up. He had just gone back to sleep when another tech came to take three vials of blood. I noticed that Dad's shoulder was blue. But it did not seem to hurt him.
After a while Kevin left and I was grateful for the reclining chair. Go Kevin. Someone came to check Dad's bp. I pointed out the blue shoulder and he examined it, and said he would mention it to the doctor. It was light out now, so Dad wanted to get dressed. That was OT's business, so we worked on dentures and then the breakfast that came just after 7. Dad was antsy that he might not finish in time for his 8am appt. He ate a fig bar before breakfast came. I fed him until the RN raised the table to where Dad could feed himself. I texted Kurt and took notes until The RN took his BP again.
Allie the OT came to access his bathing. She thought the shoulder should be x-rayd. She asked him a bunch of questions about his living conditions. She mentioned that her mother took Metamucil instead of statins. He shaved for her, but the shaver needed charging. She checked his sitting and standing blood pressure – both the same but low.
The nurse practitioner checked the blue shoulder and discovered that it came off with alcohol. Andrew came by from General Medicine to say hello. Nathan came by with a schedule. Dad and I worked on tomorrow's menu, writing it in Faye's notebook.
PT Heather arrived. She asked questions and and tested his various muscle strengths. She promised to get him signed up for speech therapy which has a neuro component.

No comments: