Friday, February 9, 2024

The farm and a warning

Thursday

I woke up in the dark to use the restroom and never went back to sleep. I did not feel well and the toilet reflected that. But no nausea. I stayed in bed until I could hear that the others were up. I got dressed and left the room.

I read e-mail until they said we were going to breakfast. I put the laptop to sleep and we piled in Gabriel's car and drove to the restaurant on site. Breakfast was provided for free, provided that we ordered one of the first three items on the menu. So Chris and I ordered the typical Costa Rican breakfast. Herberth got the fruit pancakes but offered them up to the rest of us and just drank coffee. They were good, but loaded with whipped cream and jam.

As we sat to eat, a white cat came up and looked at us imploringly. I figured the owners did not want the cat fed people food, so I didn't. I gave Chris my cheese. He fed a part to the cat. Then the cat started pawing him to get more pieces. I did not finish my breakfast, in fact no one finished. Turns out the others felt badly too.

We stopped at the barns on the way back to see sheep, goats, peacocks, turkeys, ducks, emus, rabbits, chickens, and guinea fowl. Chris said guinea fowl were used for protection because they are loud and mean. When they started making the sounds of a velociraptor, I walked quickly away.

We went back to the room to pack. Then we piled in the car. Chris was vomiting over at the edge of the parking lot. I didn't realize it was that bad. Then they pulled up Waze on their phone and we were off to Tinamaste. We stopped for lunch halfway through. Herberth recommended chicken soup for everyone. So I got it. Chris didn't get anything, but he did finish the soup for me.

We continued to Tinamaste. Rather embarrassed, I had to admit that I did not have an address for the property I wanted to see. Nor a phone number. I gave Jessica the info I could remember and she looked up a phone number. She called it and seemed to be talking to someone in Spanish, but apparently did not get the info she needed. We stopped in Tinamaste to ask directions but nobody knew the property or the owners. Chris saw advertising in English and concluded that it would be too expensive to buy a house here.

Herberth was eager to get back on the road so we did. We drove to the coast and turned South. We ran into traffic backed up, then to a beach house. But there was no way to get in, so we kept going until we found a motel.

Chris checked in and we each got a key to a little house (just a bedroom and bathroom). It was quite a long walk to ours, but it was by the pool, so really nice. We set up our luggage and Chris got me online. Then we got on our laptops until 7. Chris went to meet the others for dinner but I didn't feel like eating.

I watched The Highwire and tried to read the comments. Then my laptop told me I wasn't plugged in. So I checked all the connections and finished watching. I also looked at Telegram and Facebook messages. All the while, I drank plenty of water. Chris came back before 9. He said there is a path to the beach, but was advised not to take it because of crocodiles. Huh. THAT wasn't on the brochure. I posted to my blog and jotted notes for today. Later we got ready for bed and went to sleep. I wore the mp3 headphones and Chris said I was snoring in minutes.

No comments: