Thursday, February 15, 2024

Valentine's Dinner

Wednesday

Chris came to bed in the middle of the night. I went back to sleep and did not awaken until sunlight was coming in the window. It was almost 7:30 and Chris was gone to work. I got up and prepared for meditation morning. I added more coconut milk to the ferment and discovered green stuff growing around the rim. I wiped it off and wondered if I had poisoned myself by drinking it on Monday.

I rinsed my sinuses. I used the bathroom and gave thanks that here in America you can flush the toilet paper. I did my exercises and read for half an hour. Then I meditated, and tapped. Afterward I cleaned the bathrooms, and then the kitchen. I was just considering the floor when Chris came home for lunch. We talked, I vacuumed. Then I took a shower and he left.

I texted the yoga teacher about yoga this afternoon and she said no because it's Valentine's Day. I didn't know what that had to do with it, but ok. Then Jenni texted asking me to take her hours at the swap shop tomorrow. I very reluctantly said yes. Grrr...

I met Michelle at the gym. We chatted with the staff, then worked out with weights. She and I chatted all the while. Then finally we left. On the way home, I stopped at the swap shop to take pics for the posting tomorrow. I went home and went through my fabric and patterns, looking for the ones that match my purse. I am going to have to make another one.

Then Chris came home and said we only had a few minutes to get to the chapel for the imposition of ashes. So I changed into purple and black. We went to the chapel and it was empty. I let us in and we waited for the chaplain, who was at the club with his wife for Valentine's dinner.

He arrived and we talked. A lady we didn't know came in. Then the chaplain read some verses and talked about each one. He invited us up for the ashes. Then he said a prayer and it was over. She left while I had questions about needing this earthly body if it was returning to dust. Chris chatted with the lady and she left.

Just then, there was a big boom. I thought a branch had fallen on the roof. But they said it was an explosion and went outside to look. It was mostly dark and nothing to be seen. But Chris called someone to see if anything had been reported. Nope. We chatted some more. The chaplain said he really missed yoga today so I led us in a short exercise. Chris played along.

Finally it was time for us to go to the community club for our Valentine's dinner. They had the ballroom all fixed up for the occasion. We waited in the bar while they reset the table for us. The bartender asked Chris about the boom, but he hadn't heard anything new.

Then we were seated. We could see the colonel and the MWR director who were finishing up from the 6pm seating. We were brought water and asked if we wanted anything else to drink. The service was lovely. Music was playing. The movie screen showed an active fireplace. She asked about salad dressing and I requested something without sugar, but they didn't even have oil and vinegar. So she brought me salt and pepper with the salad.

Later, she collected the plates. Stirling brought us our dinners. Mine was steak with mashed potatoes and veggies. Chris got the same, but chicken cordon bleu. Both were excellent. Chris got a text from the chaplain saying his wife felt the boom shake her house. Then we both ate. Chris finished first so they brought him dessert. I had the rest of my steak boxed. Chris surrendered his credit card, and she brought us a decorated box to take home – dipped strawberries, coated pretzels, etc. I asked Stirling to take some pics.

Chris drove us home. We wiped the ashes from our foreheads and changed clothes. I made tea and we watched two episodes of SGA. Then we got ready for bed. He went to sleep but I stayed up to read e-mail and such before I turned in.

No comments: