Saturday, September 25, 2010

Riding by the river

It was the usual morning routine, but without any sandwich-making. Around noon I got out my new tire pump. I pumped up my bicycle tires as best I could, and Chris finished them off. It is a tough pump to use because there are no foot thingys to step on. It is held in place on the frame of the bike so you always have it with you. At least, it is a marvelous idea, however, there are no instructions on how to mount it there. Finally I had to use a velcro strap. I rode the bike to Ichon station to meet Helen and her friend Nancy. I was amazed at how much faster it was to ride that distance, than to walk it. Then it took us 20 minutes or more to find our way to the river side park. There was a bike rental place, and both Helen and Nancy rented bikes, for under $3 an hour. I almost thought I should have too, but those bikes were little better than mine. We rode up river to Banpo bridge, and crossed under it. On that side, people were doing tricks with their bikes. We left when a huge stack of pizzas were delivered and they quit their tricks to eat. It was a nice day and a nice place to be. We even sat in the park to rest our bare feet on the ground for awhile, before finding a restaurant to eat at. It was a nice place, inexpensive, and I could park my bike by the table because there was no window glass there. One of the foods we had was acorn gelatin. After we left, we walked to the nearest subway station. As we said goodbye, Helen remarked that I was athletic. No one has ever said that about me before, so it made me feel good. Then they got on the train, but I went to the little market from yesterday to get some kim chi. But the place was still closed. I had to take my bike through the subway station in order to cross the road. Lucky for me they had elevators. Then I had a quick ride home. Near our apartment is a bicycle shop and repair place. I asked them to look at my brakes. They said the cables were the problem, and that they didn't have that kind because they sell mountain bikes. Hopefully I can get them repaired somewhere, because it is hard to stop on a bike with rusty hand brakes when your feet can't touch the ground. I really miss foot brakes. They were so much easier than hand brakes.
When I got home, Chris and Michele were having supper. I got on my computer to do the usual. Romaric came over for gaming. So I came out for awhile. But I went back in to finish, if only there were enough time.

No comments: