Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day


Normally I would go to quilting on Monday, but the South Post Chapel is closed due to the holiday. I spent the morning on my computer: first running through e-mail, and then talking on Skype. I talked to Kurt until after lunch. Then Chris and I took the subway to a spot near the Seoul Art Center. It is build into a mountain, and we went hiking. An idea hike for me would not have included so many steps up. But trails tend to go up a mountain, not around a mountain. We saw many downed trees, and some exercise stations, benches, and even wilderness bathrooms. It was nice to be out in nature, away from the city (or at least it felt like it). I took my shoes off and walked barefoot for awhile. At the end of a trail, we found a shrine and then walked down the mountain. I feel fine now, but wonder if I will be sorry tomorrow. At the bottom of the mountain we saw a cool pond and waterfall. We came out by a what-ya-may-call-it. I had seen it once before with water running through it. But it was off when we came through. Within 10 minutes the water started up, but I was in no shape to climb back up the steps. We found a nearby restaurant called Californian Pho. It was Vietnamese. We ordered by pointing at the menu. First she brought us a bowl of hard plastic discs, then a bowl of hot water. Turns out the discs are not plastic. You dip them in the hot water and they become soft and elastic. Then you can wrap veggies in them and eat them. When we had finished it, the waitress was pointing to other things on the menu, but they weren't desserts. Chris called a coworker who speaks Korean to translate, and we found out that more food came with our meal. So, we got bowls of soup, too. Then, full as could be, we walked to the bus stop, and caught bus 405 back to our apartment. Because of rush hour, it might not have been faster than the subway, but there was a lot less walking involved. At home, I sat on couch to decide what to do next and found myself asleep. Michele came home at some point, and then Chris shuffled me off to bed. Later I woke up, knowing I had to finish an on-line order I had started yesterday (sale runs out at midnight). I need to take a shower, too.

No comments: