Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First AFSC luncheon of the new season

I stayed awake this morning after making Chris' lunch. I got on my computer to read e-mail and articles. Later I took a shower and put on the skirt I so carefully altered to fit me. I was dressed for the luncheon! But walking in that skirt was another matter. It comes just past mid-calf and has no vents. That means I have to take tiny steps or hike up my skirt. I hiked it up. Fabric was on sale before the luncheon and I wanted plenty of time to go through it. When I got to the DHL, I parked as close to the front door as I could, knowing that I would be exiting with heavy bags of fabric. On the way up, one lady gave me her raffle tickets to babysit until she got back from a job interview. She seemed to know me. Hmmm. Several people wanted to talk to me and it delayed my fabric purchasing. I also had to sign in, pay, and mark my seat at a table. Several people had asked me to save them a seat also. Then MaryAnn told me that they had too many people sign up and she would have to sit in the overflow room:( Finally I had some quality time with the fabric tables. I kept reminding myself that I didn't need any more fabric, and that I had no place to put it. I still ended up with the largest haul of all, 41 packets. Thankfully my husband is an understanding man. After we ate (a Korean buffet), the entertainment was two groups of B-boys. They do dance numbers based on hip-hop and break dancing. They were quite good and athletic, too. I took a movie clip but it is way shorter than I remember. After it was all over, MaryAnn and I talked downstairs for quite a while. Like three hours. At 5 I drove over to Chris' car to drop off my bags of fabric. I needed him to carry them up to the apartment since I couldn't carry them over the pedestrian bridge. He also stopped by the commissary on his way home. I was waiting for him there. If my phone battery hadn't been dead, I would have gotten his call asking me to help him carry stuff up. But he managed on his own. I was eager to get the fabric washed and ironed, but there wasn't enough daylight left for a washing and drying cycle. (Some day I shall live where I can use the dryer without opening the window and inviting in every passing mosquito.) Still, I removed each one from its plastic sleeve, clipped the corners and put it in one of three stacks - light, medium, or dark. I plan to start the process first thing in the morning. Then we had brauts and sauerkraut for supper. I had my own homemade sauerkraut. And a glass of fresh vegetable juice. I read some pages in my new home remedies book. And I spent some more time with my computer and made a loaf of bread for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

41 packets of fabric!! I'm SOOooooo JeAloUs!! So I'm just going to go look at mine in the closet and say I have enough and try not to be jealous....hmmm.