Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Juicing experiment

Sandwich-making happened at the usual time. Then I got on my computer to read and delete e-mail. Finally I pushed myself away to make breakfast. I checked on the soy milk that I set out to ferment, and it was done. See pic. The kitchen was a mess, which is not unusual. And I found myself wanting more counter space. So, after breakfast, I filled a plastic tub with hot water and peppermint soap. I washed the large items that don't fit well in the dishwasher, cleaned the oven and countertops, wiped down the cabinets, and removed the marble slab to the porch area. I had to wash that too, before I could put the slab there. I committed a really big neatness! Even Michele noticed and was impressed. Then I got out the juicer I bought at the thrift shop, washed it thoroughly, and made a cup of fresh juice. I used celery, cabbage, and part of a red beet. What started out green ended up red. I offered Michele some, and she did have a sip, but didn't want any more. So I drank it all. I took the pulp (I never throw anything away), and added it to the sauerkraut, sparking a rush of new fermentation. Then I re-washed the juicer. I sat back at my computer to await Cathy's call to go to Dongdaemun, but when she finally did call, it was to postpone to a later date. So I took a Ken-Ken break. It was almost 5 when Michele left to go to her first college course of the semester. Chris came home a little later. He had leftovers for supper. I wasn't hungry so I read a book, "The Coconut Diet". Michele came home about 8 complaining that professor didn't show up. He send a replacement instead, who ran over the syllabus and dismissed the class. I don't know if she has to go in tomorrow because Seoul is expecting typhoon weather. The base will be closed to all but essential personnel. The thrift shop will not be open, and I had to cancel quilt class for tomorrow night. Chris will be home all day, so I guess I can sleep in. Sort of.
Oh, forgot to mention that I had a glass of vegetable juice for supper too (along with sauerkraut, kimchi and a slice of baked mac and cheese). This one wasn't as good because I put cayenne pepper in it (per the instructions in the diet book). Guess I put in a little too much.

No comments: