Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rain has unexpected consequences

After seeing Chris off on his trip north for gaming, I shut off the airconditioning and opened a window. I read e-mail for over an hour before starting my exercises and fixing breakfast. After Michele ate breakfast, we ran the dishwasher. I nibbled a bit off of a pepper and the juice burned my lips. Even a bag of frozen blueberries was not enough to stop the pain. Then my eye itched... (nothing happened the first time I scratched it.) I got the recyclables together for tomorrow. Chris called to say his car went off the road in the rain, and that he was all right but the car was not. He said he would handle it and come home, canceling the trip. There was nothing I could do from here. I opened the garage doors to dry out the water that came under the doors yesterday. But then it started to rain, so I closed them again. I went out with an umbrella to check on my tomatoes. I pulled out some of the morning glories growing all over them. But I left the ones that were holding the vines to the cages. I also tied up a few vines that were falling too low. I came in to iron the fabrics left from yesterday, then brought my quilt up to finish the binding. I had unplugged my computer when the storm hit. But now the storm was over and the battery was low, so it had to be re-plugged. Michele decided to cook in Chris' absence. I did not argue. She decided to cook the turnips. I could not imagine how they could turn out well having such a sharp taste. But she did well. She boiled them, mashed them, added salt, pepper, chicken stock, and onions. She only ate a little, but I really liked it. We saw the deer again. I watched him carefully to make sure he did not bother my garden. Then Chris arrived. He had rented a vehicle to drive home, said his car was totaled. He was not hungry, but was ready to watch TV. So we saw three episodes of Warehouse 13 and one of NCIS. Sadly the site where we watched the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes was down for maintenance. Benedict Cumberbatch is SO awesome in that role. And American TV has nothing so well written. BTW, tomorrow is his birthday.

No comments: