Sunday, January 6, 2013

Auditioning binding


Chris set the alarm for 8am. I didn't feel like getting up, but had too much to do to stay in bed. I fixed breakfast and then took a shower and dressed for church. I gathered the stickers and such for Sunday School, and I was on my way. I got there about 15 minutes before the opening ceremony. I was going to use the time to clean up the room but I passed another lady in back of the sanctuary and she talked to me the whole time. I put on the crown I made last night and sat in the back of the church while the kids sang songs, rehearsed the 10 commandments and yelled BUILD, GROW, SERVE. Then I had 20 minutes to clean the room and get it set up for crown-making while the kids went to their first center. I had the youngest ones, and they had storytime first. However, when I quizzed them, they seemed as though they had never heard the story. Ah well. I told them that the wisemen did the wise thing by not returning to Herod after finding baby Jesus. And that they could make and wear a crown to remind them to do wise things, too. Each one got a strip of yellow bulletin board border, which has a scalloped edge. It kind of looks like a crown all by itself, but I gave them stickers and markers and glitter glue to decorate them. One set of stickers had lots of snowflakes. I thought they would look decorative on a crown. But there were two snowmen on that sheet and that is what the youngest ones wanted on their crowns. One boy there had never done his handprint on fabric, so I painted his hand orange and pressed it to a green square. Then I had to take him to the bathroom to wash it all off. When we came back, the other kids were gone. The choir director wanted them to practice before the service. So I let him go, then grabbed my music and joined the choir ladies. After a short practice, I cleaned up the room somewhat and sat in the sanctuary to wait for Chris. He arrived just as the pastor started talking. The sermon was about how just a little bit of light can show the way. After church Chris went home and I stayed to finish cleaning up the room for next week. I wish I had a pic of the crown, but I left it on the table. I had taken the plugs out of the glitter glue tubes before the class, and now had to put them back in so the glue would not dry out. I don't think we'll be using them again since the kids need a project that is ready to take with them and the glue takes too long to dry. Maybe there is such a thing as glitter markers?
I drove home and changed clothes and ate lunch. Then we went to the grocery store together. We got a ham and a chicken. Chris put the ham in the oven with pineapple rings. I read e-mail for awhile, then my book. Then I went down to count the handprint squares and mark off the names of those kids so see who was missing. Then I made a binding decision. I cut and sewed binding on a quilt that has needed binding for 2 years. Chris came down when he was ready to watch TV. We saw two episodes of Richard Sharpe. One was called Sharpe's Seige, but I don't know the name of the other one. Now Chris has gone to bed, and soon I shall remove my D-link (so no one can remotely reboot my computer while I'm sleeping. I hate that. There oughta be a law against it) and head to bed myself.


No comments: