Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Water in the basement

Last night when I went to bed, a storm was just starting. When I woke up this morning, I heard the wind and rain lashing the windows. It was frightful. Chris got up to go to work and it seems nothing was canceled or delayed. I checked the basement and garage and the basement was dry but water had come in near the garage door. I went back to bed until daylight arrived, which was far too soon. I dressed and took my new umbrella out so I could see the water pooling in the yard by the corner of the house that leaks. I suctioned up the water coming in the front of the garage. It did not return. Then I was awake, so I watched 5 tapping videos on my laptop and exercised. I read e-mail and ate breakfast at 10. I was starving. Bob called to see if there was water in the basement and asked me to call him the moment I saw any. Around lunch time I found water in the corner. I put a towel down to soak it up, and called Bob. All he did was ask about any other places water might be, and promise to call me if and when he heard from the geologist. While listening to another self-help audio, I re-did one corner of the black quilt. Then I folded it and placed in the quilt cabinet. I went downstairs to choose fabric for baby quilt. I came up thinking I had heard the phone ring. Maryann Skyped me. We talked for almost 2 hours. Then she had to go and I had to check the basement again. The water had gotten past the towel and I swept it up, and wrung out the towel. I used my hot glue gun to put a removable barrier to keep the water from spreading to the rest of the basement. I went upstairs to check e-mail and to choose pattern for the quilt. Chris came home and fixed himself supper. I chose a pattern and started cutting. When I realized how late it was, I jumped in the shower, then grabbed my tablet on the way out. It was not raining so I did not need the umbrella. I was surprised to arrive a bit early. I called up the piano app on my tablet and showed it to those who were present. Doris thought it was great. I had forgotten to bring the headphones so I did not use it. After practice, I compared it to the piano and it was half a tone off. I do not know if it would agree with the organ. On the way home, I stopped at the dollar store to see if they had any teddy bears I could use for Sunday School and the Good Samaritan story. In the $1 bin all they had were stuffed alligators. Hmm, how would that go with the story? Christmas stuff was on sale, but no stuffed Santas. That would certainly be an unusual twist to the story. I bought a box of bandaids hoping they would come in handy for treating whatever gets used for the story.
When I got home, Chris and I watched an episode of Poirot. Then he went to bed and I did, too, when I finished my post.
* These are the crocuses in bloom. The daffodils are showing signs of budding too. *

No comments: