Thursday, January 31, 2013

The start of a baby quilt


When I went to bed last night, the wind was blowing again. But it was still and calm this morning. And cold, freezing. However the temp rose during the day to a respectable 50. I spent the morning tapping, then reading e-mail, then exercising. I was able to put off breakfast until 10, but no longer since I was starving. I checked the basement and it was dry.
I stressed over the Sunday School craft. What can three-year-olds do? They can't cut, draw, color, read, write, count, etc. I had bought some modeling clay at the $ store, but when I handled it, I saw that it was too stiff for young children to manipulate. So I went looking on-line and found a recipe for cloud dough. I have absolutely no idea how to relate it to the story, but apparently kids go nuts for it. That is, playing with it, not eating it. Speaking of eating, I ate my large salad outdoors in the sun. I checked the daffodils for signs of frost bite. No signs, and one was blooming. The collard greens had some frost bite, but the swill chard was just fine.
I worked on the baby quilt, cutting pieces and sewing them together. I made two blocks. Then I decided to redraft the pieces. So I went upstairs for paper and better light. I found myself back on the cloud dough project.
Cloud dough only has two ingredients: flour and oil. So I made a small batch. It was kind of fun to play with, but like wet sand, it doesn't hold its shape very well. I got out my cookie cutters to see if there were any suitable for the kids to play with. It's amazing how many cookie cutters I have: all kinds of Christmas and holiday shapes, plus several sets of the alphabet, animals, and the old-fashioned ones like Grandma had. I put some in a bag, and added a few shaped tins. I am not sure what confection they are for.
I also put in some containers to contain the dough while the kids play, and some small ones for them to take their portion home. Having made progress on that, I went back to the sewing room. I made a third block and some pieces for a fourth, but they were backwards. I am not sure I like them. I quit, and went upstairs where Chris was just getting home from work. We ate chicken soup for supper. I changed the diningroom table cloth from green to bright red. The dark green was just too dark. I shook it outside, then put it in the washing machine with a few other things. They washed and dried while we watched the last episode of Poirot and then the movie Day and Night.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I've never heard of cloud dough -- I may have to look it up to see if it's something my boys would like.