Sunday, January 13, 2013

What a setup, eh?


The alarm went off at 8, and I got up soon after to fix breakfast, shower and dress. I wore my dark blue silk dress made by a tailor in Korea. Since the craft doesn't involve glue, or paint or anything messy, I figured it was safe. I got to church early. I laid out the necklaces on the table. I sat in the back for the opening rituals. Then I had a 15 minute wait for my class to show up. Tamara told me that there were three kids today who had not had their handprints made and that she would send them to me. So I prepared some white paint for handprinting, but those kids did not come. The regular class showed up on time. One of the kids was new, so I painted his hand white and stamped it on a green square. I showed them all how to take a mardigras necklace and twist it into a star, with enough length left to wear it. I thought the boys would object, but they didn't. Several asked to make more stars and I let them. Whereas I thought I had enough necklaces for two classes, now I was down to two. As soon as the kids left, I joined the choir in practicing the anthem. Then I went back to the room Shannon said had more necklaces. I ran into Tamara and she showed me where to find them. I picked out 10 and left them in the craft room for the next class, which will be in two weeks. Then I sat in the sanctuary to wait for church to begin. Chris joined me there. After the service, Chris went home and I followed, after picking up my coat in the craft room. We had ground beef stew for lunch. I folded some laundry and then we went to the grocery store. We only had three bags of groceries, but they cost us $100. What's up with that? I found a piece of paper with a name and phone number on it. I vaguely remembered where I had gotten it and that they were meeting on the 2nd sunday of the month. So I called, and she said to come on over. Chris typed the address into GoogleMaps so I could plot the easiest way to drive there. I packed a handstitch project in my tote and drove down Carl T Jones to Weatherly, and then to Memorial. The road ran out before I expected it. I looked around and was tempted to call for more directions. But then I saw the storage building. I punched in the code and walked into a maze-like warren of units. I didn't know where to go, but I walked around until I found a larger hallway with a few card tables. There were two women sitting there, so I joined them. Eventually four more joined us. It was more of a social gathering than a stitching. But make no mistake, these women know the quilting world inside and out. They are Susan Schamber fans. They also know the local news as I've never heard it. I sat, handstitching wedges together, listening intently. After several hours, the group began to break up and the tables and chairs were stored away. Two of the ladies showed me their storage unit. It was full of quilting books, fabric, projects, supplies and a Tin Lizzie. I was quite impressed. They said they've only been into quilting for two years. About 6:30 I headed home in the rain. I intended to take Memorial to Drake, but I was in the wrong lane and ended up exiting early. But I had been there before and could find my way home. Chris was finishing up supper. I elected not to eat since it would mean having a late breakfast tomorrow. I checked e-mail and called Linda about picking up my quilt which is now ready. Then we descended to the basement to watch one of the last two Sharpe movies.

No comments: