Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Where's the bucket brigade when you need them?


It has been an interesting and exhausting day. Upon arising, I had to check out the basement. The water was more prevalent than I expected. I suctioned it up, dumping bucket after bucket of water. Then I checked the garage. It, too, was flooded. I had hoped to wait until 9 to call Bob, but I couldn't wait. His wife answered and said she'd call him to come over right away. He had already started working on another job. A little later, they both came, with towels. They surveyed the extent of the water, and proposed sources and solutions. I gave them some RIT dye that has been hanging around for years. She sprinkled it on the water in the corner and we watched as it flowed both west and south. We moved cabinets around to follow it. The color showed up under the dryer. Bob said the water in the garage came from the wall directly behind my little greenhouse. After they left with their wet towels, I shoved the legs of the front of the greenhouse deeper into the ground so that the top would slant forward, instead of backward. Then I got back to work with the carpet steamer. After clearing the basement, I worked in the garage. I moved wet boxes to the carport and got up as much water as I could. The water by the wall dried up, but the water under the pingpong table came back. I had lunch and tried to get through my e-mail, but I had to clear the water in the basement every hour to keep it from flooding. The postman arrived with the black quilt from Cathy. She did a beautiful job quilting it. I wrote her a check and will put it in the mail tomorrow. I took the quilt to the garage to trim it up. I cut it so that I could wrap the backing forward as binding. Then I cut the trimmings into strips to bind two other quilts that also need black binding. I also squared up four lengths of fleece for the Linus project at church. Chris came home for supper. The rain had stopped. I took a shower and was readying to go to a meeting at church. I asked Chris to vacuum the basement in my absence. I took the blankets with me. I got there late, but the meeting was just starting. Tamara went through all the lesson plans for the rest of the church year (until summer vacation). Now I can plans crafts further ahead. The meeting went long. I dropped the blankets in the service project room, and picked up another bag of raw fleece. I headed for choir practice. We worked on one song that didn't go very well. The key changes made it hard to sing. Then we practiced another, and the director decided to sing the second one this Sunday and the harder one next Sunday. Oh well. On the way home, I stopped for gas. I forgot which side of the car had the gas cap. Then I didn't have a pen. So I took the receipt home. I got a pen from the countertop to fill out the gas book. I vacuumed up water in the basement, but there wasn't much. I settled myself in front of my laptop to sew binding while listening to an audio. When Chris was ready, we went down to watch more of Shogun. I took the quilt with me and was able to finish the binding then. About 11 we paused the movie to go to bed.
* This is not the bucket brigade. It is the choir practicing for this Sunday. *

No comments: