Thursday, January 10, 2013

Choices, choices


I woke up with Chris, and struggled to stay awake until he left. Then I got up to find or make backing for the quilt top. Finding it turned out to be easy. There was a roll of decorator cloth about quilting weight in a corner of the sewing room. It was wide enough that it didn't need piecing. However, the quilt top had many small seams leading out to the edge. To make sure the edges didn't stretch or seams unravel during the quilting process, I pinned the edges to strips of paper and stay-stitched them. It took me until 9am. Then I had a quick breakfast and skmmed e-mail. It was almost 9:30 when I left the house. I drove to Huntsville Sew and Vac and parked in their lot. I walked around the block to the little old house where they teach the classes. Linda was supposed to meet me there, but she was running late. Still, she got there in time to accept the quilt before her class started. Walking back to my car, I decided to peek in the store, just in case the fabric spoke to me.

I walked all around the inside, looking at every bolt. None of it spoke to me. I was offended. What unfriendly fabric! So I bought thread instead. I was almost out of dark blue and it is popular color. I also bought a pair of free-motion quilting gloves. I drove home. Because the house still smelled burnt, I turned off the heat, opened some windows and turned on the fan. I read the origami directions to fold a rudimentary flower. I spent several hours reading e-mail and following links. I ordered the sequel to the book I finished the other day. It was a rather wet day, so the only thing I did outside was pick dandelion for my salad. I tentatively selected a pattern, and cut strips of the fabric recently washed. I sewed them in pairs and cross cut, then laid them out in various designs to see which was best. I boiled water to rehydrate coconut flakes. While they were soaking, Chris came home. He put chicken in the oven with onions, potatoes and sweet peppers. I put the flakes through the blender and kept them in a separate jar to feed to my fermentation jar.

Then I decanted most of the latest batch of kombucha into jars. There was an overabundance of scobys in the bottom. I fed at least half of the mass to the blender and then it went to the leaf pile to promote the composting process. Following a link in one of the e-mails, I came across a tutorial for making a double-knotted scarf out of t-shirt material. I am not a scarf person, but it is just so cute! And the lady who wrote the tutorial as part of her blog, is very amusing. I am afraid if I gave you her blog addy you would start reading hers instead of mine. Promise me that you'll come back. Ok. http://www.putapuredukes.com/
I went down to do some more sewing and auditioning. Chris came down to watch the last Sharpe DVD. It wasn't an adventure, but a retelling of all the adventures from the point of view of one of Sharpe's men. Then Chris went to bed, while I stayed up to ponder what I did all day.
* So, here are 4 of my 6 choices. What do you think? *

No comments: