Thursday, March 21, 2013

Raffle Quilt


The morning began with e-mail. I did most of my exercising and tapping before I remembered to write a blog post for yesterday. Then it disappeared. I spoke a few choice words vehemently before reconstructing the whole thing. I did not learn these words in Sunday School. Then I got dressed and took out the recyclables. I ate breakfast at 11. As I was reading and eating, I heard something out front and saw a man sprinting away from the house toward a UPS truck. I opened the door to see that he had just delivered a box of nuts and a 5 gallon tub of coconut oil. I struggled to get it inside the door. I decided to leave it sit there for Chris. While listening to an audio, I organized sheaves of receipts. I labeled my earbuds L and R. I was slicing some cheese for lunch, when the knife slipped and cut my thumb. I could not find any bandaids anywhere, so I taped a piece of tp to my thumb (after disinfecting it). I went outside for the peat discs which were now fully expanded. I planted organic tomato seeds in them, and set the tray in the front window. Meanwhile the old computer was waiting for some keystroke to complete the reboot so I supplied it. Once it was up and running, I called up the embroidery software. But it wouldn't run because it couldn't find the card reader. The card reader was connected, but not powered. I searched all over the house for its power cord. Finally I used an all-purpose one with a variety of tips and selectable voltage. So, back in business, I typed up the first quilt label. I experimented with fonts to find the best one for the job. Then I wrote three of them in a file to the card. I put the card in the embroidery machine. But its power cord was missing too. Looking in our box of cords, wires, and headphones, I found one that would fit. It was labeled "tape deck". Oh well. When the machine had power, I realized that it would be easier if the labels were in separate files so I could tweak their positions independently. So back upstairs to save them separately. Then I loaded a piece of stabilizer and the first fabric. The machine stitched away and I ran some small errand. When I came back, it was done perfectly. So I loaded the second one. Same outcome. I loaded the third one, very pleased with the machine's progress. Chris came home so I greeted him, etc, and when I went back to the machine, it had stopped on the first line because the thread was broken. So I fixed it, got it going again, and took a shower. When I came back, it was on the last line, thread broken. I fixed it and waited until it was finished. By then it was almost 6:30. I did not want to wear tp on my thumb to guild meeting, so I looked through an old purse and found a small bandaid, which just covered the wound. I ate a piece of cheese as supper, grabbed the donation quilt, and headed for Faith Presbyterian. The lot was full when I got there. People arrive early for these meetings. The program for tonight was a team of quilt shop owners. They talked about how much fun it was to operate a fabric store, but it wouldn't make you rich. After the program (and guild business and show-and-tell) we all went by the ticket table to get our raffle tickets to sell. They gave out pictures of the raffle quilt, but they don't do the quilt justice. Hopefully my digital pic is better. If anyone wants to buy a ticket for $1, let me know. If you win, they'll ship it to you. Anyway, I returned home after the meeting. Chris and I watched an episode of Eureka. Then it was bedtime.

No comments: