Saturday, March 16, 2013

Jen's Wedding


It felt like we slept in a long time, but it was around 9 that we got up. I checked e-mail and had breakfast. Then I put on a video about the problems with water (and the control) of water around the world. I finished the green binding on the quilt, but it was after 12 when I finished. Chris indicated that he wanted to leave for the wedding at 1. I did not have time to get ready and made a label for the quilt. So I took a shower and put on a dress. Then I found a roll of wedding paper and a box. I looked in the hall closet for tissue paper. Not only did I find tissue paper, but also the bag of 5 DVD's that I bought for Chris' birthday last year and subsequently lost. I decided to give them to him immediately. I wrapped the quilt in paper, put it in the box, and wrapped the box. There wasn't time to find a bow. But I did find an all-purpose "Thinking of You" card to use for the gift. Chris signed it and taped it to the box. Then I put on my white flats because the only heels I could find were black ones. We left about 20 after 1. Using the GPS, we arrived early. They picked the lodge at Guntersville state park for their wedding and reception. As it turns out, they weren't the only ones. We found ourselves ushered into a room with round tables. Chris took the gift over to the gift table while I signed the guest book. Chris helped me delete pics from my camera to make room for more. While I was photographing the cupcake display, he struck up a conversation with a couple at the table, discovering that we were with the wrong party. We collected our gift and looked elsewhere. I wonder what they'll think when they see our names in their guest book? Anyway, down the hall we found another room with tables. This was the right room. But there was no one in it, so we went looking for other guests. We found the on the next floor down. White chairs were set up on the terrace. We waited inside to be seated. Then we waited outside for the wedding to begin. It was a lovely day, but a bit windy. The service was fairly short (less than 15 minutes). The maid of honor had to pull the bride's veil off because of the wind and a wasp that got caught in it. After the ceremony we went to the reception room with the others. There were platters of fresh fruit and vegetables to snack on while the pictures were being taken. There was a photo of the happy couple inside of a large blank matting. That was the place for us to sign our names and well wishes. There was a basket beside the photo of seed packets for wildflowers. Each table had a list of names and we found ours, with other people Chris works with. There was no shortage of good conversation. The bridal party arrived and was announced. A toast was made and then we all waited while the serving table was loaded. They went first, and then the rest of us followed, buffet style. Later they played music. The bridal couple had the first dance, and then it was hard to get anyone else to dance. The story I heard was that the bride wanted to wait until people danced before she cut the cake 'cause that's when people leave. We took our turn. Then the music got hipper. Gagnam Style really bought out the younger generation. But we showed 'em how it was done later when they played something from the 70's. We talked to Rod out on the terrace. What a view! We came in when it started to get dark. We said our goodbyes. Then went out to the car. It was about an hour's ride home. We had to check our e-mail, but then we watched several episodes of Eureka before going to bed.

No comments: