Saturday, July 26, 2014

The best present I could ever get.

Before I went to bed last night I found enough energy to mostly finish packing my suitcase. Then I woke up before the alarm at 7. I checked e-mail briefly, placed a hold on the mail, and then shut down my laptop and packed
it away. I weighed the suitcase and it was around 50 pounds. I could not take the chance that it was over 50 because then the airport would charge me. But dividing it between two suitcases would not be tightly packed and secure. So I packed some of it in a rolling carryon. My supplements were in the carryon and I wasn't certain they would pass because they weren't in their original bottles. I repacked the suitcase and a large carryon to redistribute the items. Food items were the heaviest and were not allowed in carryons unless medically necessary. Then I had a revelation – a box! I packed the heaviest food items in a box with plenty of padding. It became my second suitcase. I began to relax. I found a strip of fabric to tie around the handle of the suitcase. I found a return address label to stick on my suitcase. I ate breakfast and took a shower. I put my fermented coconut milk in the fridge. I emptied the dishwasher. I packed perishable food in a bag for Dinah. I swept the floor, wanting to come home to a clean house. Then I got anxious waiting for her to arrive. I was ready, having everything stacked by the front door. When she arrived, I carried everything out and she carried the suitcase. We put it in the back of her truck. I gave her the bag of perishable food (tomatoes, squash, broccoli and salad greens). We talked about driving stick on the way to the airport. She dropped me off in front of the terminal and waited to see that I could manage it all. God bless her. I had a box, a laptop, a rolling carryon, a rolling suitcase and my purse. I went to the checkin counter. I put a tag on the suitcase. The lady checked it and the box, and printed out two boarding passes. Then I went upstairs to security. I had no trouble getting through. I had to take the laptop out of its case, but not to turn it on. Then I went to my gate and sat to wait for priority boarding. I ended up sitting by the window with a man who was very talkative. Basically we talked until the plane took off and landed again. When I deboarded, I went to the signboard to find out where the next gate was. I had trouble reading it and a nice gentleman helped me and pointed the way to the next concourse. The train was easy to find, ride and get off. At concourse A, I found my gate but needed a restroom more. I had to ask because it was marked with a set of pink stick figures instead of the word 'Women' or 'Restroom'. Again there was a wait for boarding. This time I was seated to a guy who was talkative until the plane took off and then he got on his laptop. Not sure what he was doing without wifi. I worked several Sudoku puzzles and did some tapping to clear my left ear. I was only partially successful. When I got off, I walked to the main waiting room upstairs. I did not go to baggage pick up because it was too cumbersome to handle easily and I knew Michele was coming in an hour and my in-laws would be there to pick us up. After 20 minutes, I decided to at least sit in the baggage pickup area. When I got there, I sat next to a man who talked about Tampa. Lots of people were waiting for the baggage lane to start. Not long after it did, the man got up to claim his luggage. I watched from my seat. Then I saw a case making the rounds open. I knew someone would be upset about their stuff strewn around and open to view like that. Then I realized it was mine. I ran up to the carousel and pulled it off. The man in front of me helped grab stuff that had fallen out. I crammed it all back in and shut the case, fuming. I was looking for the box when I saw Alfred walk up. He brought my carryons over while I identified the box. He leaned over and grabbed that. A lady came over and recommended that I file a complaint. So Alfred and I stopped at the office. They gave me a brochure, with the complaint number circled. They said I should file after I have checked the suitcase to see what is missing or damaged, and whether it was inspected by TSA. We headed upstairs to where Cecily was waiting, but then decided to take it all to his car instead. Right outside the terminal the suitcase fell open again. It would not latch. While we were trying to get it shut securely, my finger got slammed. It hurt but I figured that would pass. We got one latch to hold long enough to get to the car. After all the stuff was stowed, we went back to the airport. I saw Michele talking with Cecily at baggage claim. I took her pic, then gave her a big hug.  She said she had a present for me.  We claimed her bag quickly because it was a small plane from NY. Soon we were on the road. Michele talked about her job teaching English in Korea. When we got to the house, Cecily showed her lots of teaching books and toys that were saved from years ago.  Michele gave me two seed packets from Japan.  Then we went to Rosa's for supper. I ordered a Greek salad and some shrimp. Michele got a mint drink which she had to show her passport for (and which I tasted) and a calzone which was large enough to feed an army. She brought half of it home. As we ate and talked, I held my sore finger in my glass of ice water. It throbbed something fierce. When we got home, we skyped Chris. Michele was falling asleep so we kept it fairly short. Chris told us about a large grasshopper that he'd found on his windowsill. Then Michele went to bed. Cecily gave me a jar to put coconut milk in and a probiotic tablet (since I don't remember packing mine). I put the jar in the garage to ferment. I sat watching Mystery Diners while checking e-mail and trying to compose this blog. It went on and on, episode after episode. At first I as not using my finger to type, but made so many mistakes that it made sense to use and be done. Al and Cecily turned in for the night. Michele got up briefly at 10 and went back to bed. I decided it was time for me too.
*  Obviously Michele is the best present I could ever get.  *

No comments: