Thursday, July 17, 2014

This day keeps getting better

In spite of having a cooling pad for my laptop, the keyboard got so hot last night that I had to shut it down. I took my new pillow to bed, but it was stuffed too full keep under my head. So I went back to the old pillow. Even then, I could not sleep and decided it was the best time to take my meds since they would put me to sleep. I had been resisting taking them all day, but the time was right so I swallowed them down. But I still could not sleep. I was certain sleep would come but it seemed I was awake long after they should have kicked in. When I woke up, it must have been a little after 6. My back was still sore and I was afraid to swing my legs over the side of the bed to the floor. And I had to pee. I had planned for this last night when I brought a towel and plastic bag to bed (when I got the meds). I peed on the towel. I managed to get up then, but discovered that the bed was wet in spite of the plastic bag. I was so mad. I remember Chris saying he was confident we could handle anything that came up while he was gone. Easy for him to say when I am facing having to change the sheets on the bed alone in a compromised state. I was also upset that the meds did not do their job.
But my day got better. I checked e-mail while waiting for a banana to thaw. After I ate it, I took the meds again. I was able to gently tug the sheets and mattress pad off of the bed and put them in the washer. While I was down there, I cut a piece of denim to make another rug. I was tired and afraid that I could not get up again if I laid down on the bed. So I laid on the couch because it was lower, feeling sorry for myself. When the washer tweeted, I put the wet load in the dryer, and laid on the couch upstairs thinking that I really should tell someone in case I find myself unable to get to the phone. I got a quilt to cover up with. I almost slept, and when I got up I felt much better. I was checking e-mail when the mailman delivered the almonds. I ate the leftover squash for breakfast. I grabbed the red project and headed to the Stitch-Its meeting. I drew identifiers on back of each block foundation (there were three blocks missing) and drew a beginning line on each to define starting slope for the first strip. I asked Pat to stop by my house to help me put the sheets and mattress pad on the bed. I talked to Leanne who lost her husband recently. Pat followed me home. We chatted and dressed the bed. She wanted to see my quilts and I was happy to show her. Before she left, I gave her a lemon squash. Afterward, I ate some leftovers with no interest in breakfast. I watered the vegetable bed. I picked some hot greens to eat with a tomato. I read e-mail and listened to an audio. I laid down for awhile. Maybe it was too long because I got to the place where I wasn't tired but could have laid there indefinitely. When I made myself get up, I had some time to check e-mail and consider what foods I needed to pack in my suitcase for the upcoming trip. I ordered some powdered greens to replace juicing. Then I changed my clothes and went to the quilt guild meeting. I enjoyed show-n-tell, and picked up my strips from the exchange last month. I also signed up for the trip to Chattanooga in September. The bus leaves at 7 and gets back at 9. She said it wasn't a long day, but that sounds plenty long enough for me. The speaker tonight talked about being creative and making quilts from photographs. When I got home, I checked e-mail again. Edwin wanted to know when I was coming back in case I needed a ride from the airport. I had a ride, but I doublechecked the day and time and I had the wrong day! So I called my ride and she couldn't do it that day. So I wrote back to Edwin to see if he was available that day. Chris sent me an e-mail just then, so we wrote back and forth for a few minutes until he left the office. I put on an audio and used the time to delete pictures from my camera to make more room for going on vacation. Then I cropped tonight's pictures and wrote this post.
*  This is a genealogy quilt  *

No comments: