Thursday, January 22, 2015

Iguana island

We stayed in bed past my alarm at 7. Chris got up to take a shower and make breakfast. So I did, too, but I swished and exercised first. I cut back a little on the ankle work though. I sucked on a packet of Vitamin C before making breakfast. After breakfast, Chris went to work for a little while, and I dusted the apartment and then sat outside to read until he came back. Then we got together two loads of laundry. I made a salad for lunch. Then we went sight-seeing on post. He took me to the fire station to meet Mr. Geckel. We made plans to eat out with him tomorrow night. Then we went to the alpha area to take pics of the cabins and large plantings. Chris also took me to where the Honduran academy was. We saw a monument to some soldiers that died in a plane crash. Then we stopped at the DVQ's to see the lagoon, but it wasn't a good view. So he drove me to another spot that was better. We were not sure if a certain branch held the monster iguana that Mr. Geckel mentioned having released there. Then we went to the hammock cabin to see the wood. The man asked us what we would like carved into it. We discussed flowers, palms trees, houses, geckos, and Mayan temples in addition to our names and the name of this place. No one took me seriously when I suggested the Mayan calendar.
Back at the quad (Chris' quarters), I watched more hammock weaving videos. None of them showed the method we were using. I folded my laundry. The lining was coming out of one pair of shorts, so I hand-sewed it back into place. Chris had a couple of shirts that needed buttons, so I did that, too. I selected the next two balls of yarn and put on pants. We went to the hammock cabin and put on the first ball of yarn. There wasn't time to do a second one, so we unraveled the second ball, tied it on and loaded the yarn onto the shuttle for next time. Then we went to the chapel fellowship hall. We talked to two other people there, waiting for the priest and brother from the monastery to arrive. Chris helped to set up the food. There were two trays of Subway sandwiches and numerous bowls of onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc. I made a salad and put mustard on it. I figured it had the least sugar of all the toppings we were given. Oil and vinegar were not there. At 7:30 Chris and Bobbie Jo moved some tables and couches so that we could sit comfortably to listen to Brother Ignasius talked the Catholic church's view of sex and marriage, including homosexuality and masturbation and birth control. Now I know why I am not Catholic. I spoke up some, but still bit my tongue a lot. Then we had vespers, and the evening ended with a chat about horse riding. We went back to Chris' quarters and had a long talk and fell asleep.
* Mr. Geckel told us he released several pairs of iguanas into the lagoon and they grew very large. We did not see one of those, but we did see a smaller one sunning itself on a wall. *

No comments: