Monday, January 19, 2015

Back to base

Sleep did not last because there was a conversation going on in the courtyard until late. I fell asleep again, but woke up to pee and then heard the rooster, who must have been confused about the time. Later the cat yowled. But not for long so maybe somebody through a shoe at it. We were awake when the alarm went off at 7. We took our showers and were in the lobby by 8. Jamie met us there, expecting the guide to walk her to the corner shop. When we did not see him, we walked there with her. Then the guide found us there. He knew of a shop that had fabric, so he walked us across the plaza, down the street and around the corner. It was a store that sold a little of everything. And I think he was related to the old woman in front of the counter. I chose what looked like a bolt of cotton quilting fabric on the wall. The price was $2, so I got one yard of the green, the blue and the red. When he got one down for her to cut, I could feel that it was stiffer than expected. But, for the price, I did not change my order, thinking that a good washing might make a difference. Then he walked us to a restaurant, (family owned) and left us there while he went to get the other three. Chris and I perused the Spanish menu, translating it as best we could. Then we ordered. I got a vegetarian omelet. It arrived soon after our party did. It came with beans, butter and cheese. We ate our meal and went to pay. Jaime and I left a little early to walk back. We stopped at a fruit stand so I could get some fruit for the trip home. Jamie walked on when Chris showed up. I got two peeled oranges for $.15 each and a small bag of watermelon chunks. We walked back to the hotel. It was almost time to leave, so we packed our stuff and went out front. My ankle was feeling better so I wanted to climb the stairs to the veranda at the hotel. But just then everyone was loading in the van. So we got in, too. Our driver, whom we saw at breakfast, drove us slowly out of town, through the amazingly narrow cobbled streets. The road was paved after the ruins, but not in good shape. It proclaimed to be an interstate, but we had to drive around two herds of cattle. When we stopped for the bathroom, I stood in the sun. It felt so good, but was so elusive. The second part of the drive was better in road condition, but there was still a lot of passing in the oncoming lane. When we got back to the base, we put our stuff in Chris' easy-go and went back to his quarters. I felt a bladder infection coming on so we went to the Px for rubbing alcohol, but they were out. So we got alcohol swabs instead, imagining them to be bigger than they turned out to be. I noticed mosquito bites on my legs and wondered when and where they happened. Most of my trip I had worn pants. And they weren't there when I rubbed mud on my legs at the hot springs. Chris started supper while I sat outside on the loveseat to work on my blog for yesterday and today. I had almost 300 unread e-mail messages. I sat in the sun as it went down, clearing e-mail. Then I went inside where Chris was eating supper. I had some chicken, rice and grilled onions, peppers and garlic. I changed into pants. Chris drove us to the hammock class. I thought the formal class might include details that were not considered important in the impromptu demonstration. But no one else showed up for the class and I was shown again exactly what the first man showed me. So I finished the purple roll of yarn and hung up the shuttle while Chris alternately chatted in Spanish with the teacher and helped me maintain proper tension on the cross string for each row. Not having brought the next color with us, we went back to his quarters. We downloaded pics from both cameras onto my laptop. Then I cleaned up my blog notes because I could not see the cursor earlier in the sun. Chris helped me download pics from my tablet. There were a lot of blurry ones from Christmas 2013, so I went through and deleted some. Then we watched 1 ¾ episodes of Criminal Minds. The second episode would not play through. Chris went to bed and I went through my selection of pics to choose a few for this blog entry. While waiting for the pics to upload, I looked up the symptoms of malaria.
* center motif in town square, painting in the breakfast restaurant yesterday *



No comments: