Sunday, January 11, 2015

They don't write songs like they used to

I got up at 7, thinking that I would have more daylight if I adjusted my sleeping schedule. But although it wasn't dark outside, the sun had not yet risen above the horizon, and the sky was over cast. So I laid on the guest bed with a full view of the sun, except for the clouds that marred its light. When my alarm sounded at 8, I laid back in bed to warm up. Then I made breakfast, checked e-mail and took a shower. I wore flats so I could drive Chris' car to church. It seemed easier than before. Maybe because I only had to completely stop twice? Maybe because I only drove it once last week? Maybe my brain has finally finished making the neural connections? When I got to church, someone was in my parking space. I know it doesn't have my name on it, but people should know by now (lol!) Jennifer was practicing with the kids so I talked to Mary and Doris, telling them about my trip to Honduras. They said I should think of them while I was sitting in the warm Honduran sun, but I couldn't promise that. Jennifer Q asked me if I needed a ride to the airport because she likes to do that. I told her I would keep her in mind if the one I think I have doesn't work out. Then I practiced with the choir. I had to hear my part separately afterward for the octave jump. The sermon was about the baptism of Jesus so the congregation was invited to come up and use water from the font to make a forehead cross. The choir sang. I don't think I made the jump. The service continued. After the service, I told several people about my trip. They all wished me well. JenQ's husband was telling me about South American trees in the jungle that drop fireants on passersby, and another one that exudes a dangerous gas. Suddenly, mosquitoes sounded positively tame! Nancy asked me to bring her back some local currency if I could and she would reimburse me.
On the way home, I was able to avoid having to come to a full stop at any traffic lights so the trip home was easy. I would have gone to the store first, but nature called. So I went home for that, and to eat something so I wouldn't buy too much at the store. I ate a sweet potato and some figs. The figs were a mistake because the sugar made me sleepy. The whole afternoon was wasted. When they wore off, I put on another shirt and my coat and went grocery shopping. I did not get much fresh stuff because of my impending trip but I did get some frozen stuff so I will have food in the house when I get back. After the groceries were safely stowed in the trunk, my left foot cramped. I tried to walk it out, and just had to drive home carefully in spite of the pain. I browned an onion and added a package of ground beef and a jar of canned tomatoes. I had just finished eating my second bowl of it when Chris popped up on skype. I skyped with Chris and even Faye for awhile. When I hung up with Chris, I went back to reading Simon and Garfunkel song lyrics and then singing Barry Manilow songs. And then it was time for bed.
*  I did not unwrap my kale today because it seemed like it might snow before church.  But actually it ended up being close to 50 today.  *

No comments: