Thursday, January 1, 2015

Flying the friendly skies

I could not find my phone last night. I had planned to set the alarm for 7. I had some trouble getting to sleep last night. I woke up hearing Dad moving around. When I got to the den, it was 20 of 7, so not bad. I put the rest of the fermented coconut milk in my breakfast and stirred. I took my vit C while watching predictions for the coming year on TV. I ate part of my breakfast, then got dressed and moved my suitcases out to the foyer. I called my phone. When I found it, it needed charging, so I plugged it in. I ate some more breakfast, but my stomach was too tense to handle all of it. I watched Tv and checked e-mail. When my phone alarm went off at 8, my phone was mostly charged, so I packed up the cord and put the phone in my purse. I was feeling weepy, so I tapped and cried. I hope Dad didn't notice. I poured some rubbing alcohol on my thumb and put a bandaid on it to protect it from the airport environment. Dad and I got my suitcase in the car. It seemed really heavy but we had no way to weigh it. Then I drove us to the airport. It was an easy drive like the map indicated, with almost no traffic, and one toll. $3. Following signs at the airport, we drove past the departure lane before we came to parking. Is that how traffic normally flows? Anyway, we went into the hourly lane and parked in the North lot. We took the elevator to the second floor and rolled my luggage into the terminal and to the baggage counter. The suitcase weighed in at 38 pounds. Dad watched my stuff while I visited the ladies room. When I came out, I found him listening to classical music coming from the player piano. He walked into the security line with me, then hugged me and we parted. The TSA agent said I was in the wrong line ( I chose the regular one) but then changed his mind when he saw my ticket. He did not explain. I put all my belongings on the conveyor belt and stood in the scanner. Then the lady patted my upper chest because the metal flake design on my shirt might be hiding something. I had to watch the man unzip my laptop case and swab it for residue before retrieving my shoes. He was kind enough to explain about TSA pre-check. Still, I made myself a note to look it up online. I waited in the lobby of my gate, writing notes for my blog. After boarding the plane, I put in my ear plugs. After we took off, I watched the ground for awhile, then played Revolver on my tablet. (That is a Tetris-like game for you TSA agents out there). When I got to Atlanta, I took the earplugs out. Although they were uncomfortable, they did the job. They made it hard to hear announcements, but when my ears are pressurized, I can hardly hear anyway. I walked to the train and then to the end of Concourse C. I saw a vending area that advertised organic food. I stopped at the ladies room and then found a seat near my gate. I ate a few handfuls of pumpkin seeds and raisins. I called Dad to make sure he got home from the airport. I looked for our skype number on my phone, but it wasn't there. I could have sworn I had entered it. So I called Kurt and asked him to e-mail Chris that I had made it to Atlanta. Then I played Freecell on my laptop. It has plenty of battery power now. Chris called as I was shutting it down to board. I must have missed my call for zone 1, because I heard them call for standby passengers, and then I frantically searched for my plane ticket before I got on. It was a shorter flight. We flew over clouds so I watched them. When I got to Huntsville, I called Mary M. I went to baggage claim to join the gathering. My luggage arrived in the same condition it was submitted. I stood outside until Mary drove up. She picked me up and brought me to my house. I offered her gas money but she refused. I went in through the garage so I could leave the clothes in the washer before carrying the suitcases upstairs. I watered the plants. The carrot tops had plenty of water, but they had molded. I turned up the heat. I turned on the desktop computer and wifi and practiced my trombone. I skyped with Chris, during which the moving company called to say they'd be here tomorrow about 9:30 with all the contents of the shed plus the riding mower and grill. I cried at the thought of where to put it all. Then I hung up with Chris to work on the carport. I could make a lot of room by parking his car outside. It started raining while I consolidated items and made makeshift pallets for the new boxes. I moved away the yard work tools that I did not want to get boxed in. I ate a frozen chicken and a jar of tomatoes. I had to ask Chris for our skype number. I watched the last few days of the Jackie Lawson advent calendar on the desktop. I decided to go to bed, but had to unpack first. Then I ate frozen mango chucks, so freezer burnt that I thought I was eating pineapple at first. I wrapped myself in my robe and went to bed. But I couldn't quite sleep. From somewhere came the faint sound like a TV. But I could not find it. I got up to see if Chris was still available for skype. He did not answer. I listened to an audio and played some games while it ran. Then I put my supplements away and realized I was almost out of chia seed. I posted to my blog and tried going back to bed.

No comments: