Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Busan fabric market

I heard Chris' alarm sound at 4:30am. He snuggled up against me for a few moments and then got up. By 5:30 he was out the door and presumably in a taxi. I fell back asleep, and dreamt that I was with Michele and I kept telling her that we needed to go because I was going to miss the MWR bus at 8:30. Finally I woke up a little before 7. I showered, swished, and exercised. I made and ate breakfast, reading just some of my e-mail. I put a few things in my purse and headed out. I walked down to Duffy's parking lot. The MWR bus had just pulled up and I got on with the other ladies. 9 of the 11 who signed up showed up and I guess that was enough, because we pulled out right after that. It took over an hour to get to the fabric market in Busan. I enjoyed talking to the ladies on the bus. When we got off, we were advised to meet the bus at 2:30. The group split into two, those who were looking for fabric, and those who were looking for jewelry etc. There were five in my group and we headed to the large building that housed the fabric vendors, plus some ready-made stuff. I don't know how we did not get lost. We were looking for different fabrics for different uses. But somehow we kept finding those who strayed or stayed. We met the other group for lunch at a sandwich shop. But some of us left to find a noodle shop. Suzanne showed us the kimbap place and ordered for me. Then we went to the noodle shop. One of the ladies ordered a bowl of soup, but did not realize that it came with shrimp, which she was allergic to. So I ate that as well as my kimbap and she ordered something else. Then we went back to the fabric market. Finally we found quilting fabric, rather than just fabric that would do in a pinch. I also got some dress fabric and the lady threw in a remnant of contrast for a belt. I took her card so I could find her again. Later Myra came back and bought some fabric from her. Then we wandered back to the bus, looking at stores along the way. We got back before the other group but they were not far behind. The ride back was bouncy even though I did not see any bumps on the road. We talked all the way back. When the bus pulled into the parking lot, we all trooped off, glad to be on solid ground. Myra and I walked back together until we reached her house. Then I went on alone, to drop off my fabric and try to get back to the post office. I met Myra on the way back, heading for the commissary. When we reached it, I went on ahead to the post office. I asked the man at the desk to get my mail. As he did, the other man said that postal inspectors were coming and that they could not do that when the inspectors were watching. My mail consisted of a letter telling me to expect a letter. I went back to the duplex. Nearly there, I met Mr. Ha who introduced himself and wanted to make an appt to check our heating system. It was for Thursday before the desk replacement (which was advertised for Wednesday the 19th). I brought in the food waste container which Chris had set out. Then I ate two persimmons and some chicken. I read e-mail and looked at cute sweatshirt sayings on Pinterest. Then I came to my senses and exited that screen. I put on an audio and washed dishes, cleaned the counter tops and wiped the stove top and burner bowls. Then I gathered the recyclables for tomorrow morning. I did today's Sudoku puzzle. I started the process of clearing the desk, which held my sewing machine and notions (and other stuff). It is going to be switched out Thursday. I straightened the bedroom where we had dumped stuff on the bed when we first arrived. I sang along with some Disney songs on Youtube. I read life advice on Quora. I stopped reading so I could post to my blog and go to bed.
* These booths are selling Hanbok fabric *
* I could not resist photographing a pretty old machine in front of a machine store. *

4 comments:

Alice Watson said...

I love the picture of the fabric shop and the picture of the sewing machine. Was the machine for sale? Maybe just decoration. sounds like you are fitting in, meeting people and enjoying life in Korea. We miss you.

Fern said...

I'll bet it was for sale, just couldn't read the sign. I am trying to build a life here, but so far nothing to compare with what I had in Huntsville. I miss you all more than you can know.

Alice Watson said...

You are extremely likeable, and you will find the nicest people there. If they are not nice, forget them. I'm glad you are attending church, and that you go with Chris. I have not been going to church myself, for awhile. Sometimes I think I should, then sometimes I think that I'm fine just being home and resting. (not getting dressed up.)
I am enjoying reading your blogs. Keep up the good work. Maybe one day I will try swishing. So far, I can't get beyond the word. ha!

Fern said...

Swishing is my word for oil pulling. It is an old Ayurvedic practice for getting toxins out.