Sunday, November 15, 2015

Exploring the ROK base

I heard my alarm at 7:30. We discussed church and he said he wanted to go to the mass, and I said I'd go and see what it was like. So we got ready. I had time to exercise and drink a quart of water, but not to have breakfast. As we were walking down the hill, a car stopped and the couple asked if we would like a ride. I gratefully accepted because my church shoes were not made for walking down the side of a mountain. The service was held in the theater just like the later non-Catholic one. I enjoyed the prelude music. It set the mood. The priest was Korean and he read from the Bible, slowly and a bit painfully. He read his homily too. I was trying so hard to understand his words, that I missed the point of the sermon. There was a lot of liturgy, too, and it was unfamiliar. I felt lost. Then he read something about people who died and that made me think of my mom and I started to tear up. Then we knelt for prayer, but it was really difficult in a theater seat. I wasn't sure I could get back up. Just before communion, was the passing of the peace. I walked down the aisle, shaking hands, then went out the door to the restroom. That quart of water came through. I also took some time to tap and compose myself. When I came out, the service was over. I guess communion was the only thing left. Chris was putting up the hymnal, and I got my coat and purse. We stopped in the lobby to talk to the priest and Mr. Wilson. When we came out of the building, we met Jane, who I think was a little disappointed that we were not going to her service. Then we walked home. I changed my clothes. I made breakfast and ate it while Chris read e-mail. I read e-mail, too. We tried calling my dad's cell phone with Chris' skype account, but Dad did not answer. Pinterest sent me an e-mail, with a link to a page of Christmas ornaments and I could not resist checking it out. I saw one that was made similarly to my hexecontahedron using double sided origami paper. I made a note to check for it in the stores. Later we went for a long walk on the Korean navy base. It is much bigger than the American base. We stopped at their food court to use the restrooms. We walked down to where we could must make out the water, but no closer because there was a guard and Chris did not want to risk being stopped. The base was flat, too. By the time we reached our place, I could see why they gave the Americans the side of a mountain to build on. I worked on a few cryptograms while Chris made supper and read e-mail. We had chicken and salad. Then we watched a Jimmy Steward western. I did not know he could play the accordion. Chris went to bed while I stayed up to finish my book. Then I posted to my blog and might have gone to bed, or thought of a few last minute things to do.
* This is a statue of Admiral Sen on the ROK navy base. *

No comments: