Monday, November 9, 2015

It made it to Korea!

I heard my alarm go off at 7:30. Chris was already up and getting prepared for work. He came in the bedroom to wake me up. Then he finished getting ready and left. I got up swished, exercised and checked e-mail. I made and ate breakfast. I did not have time to meditate. I got dressed and put everything I thought I might need into my sac. I put my fanny pack on so I would have easy access to my ID and wallet. Keymora came by just after 10. We took our umbrellas as insurance so it would not rain. We walked to the gate and met Yun. Then we walked to the circle and headed east. They showed me how to get to Daiso. I got a few things there. Then we wandered through the market. I found a mat for the front door by pantomiming wiping my feet. As we were leaving, Yun stopped to buy kimbap. It was expensive, but she said they make the best kimbap in Chinhae. Then we walked home as she pointed out a few other places. They both bought stuff so I did not feel like they only came because of me. When we got to the base, Yun left. I followed Keymora home because she lived uphill from me. She pointed out the temple on the mountain. Then she let me inside to meet Mrs. Lee who was sewing. Keymora showed me her large shrunk type pieces from a recycle store. I asked to see this store sometime. Chris called while I was there to say he'd brought my machine home from the post office. That really made my day! Then I went home to see it and eat the best kimbap in Chinhae. It was so good that I did not need the kimchi which I prepared to go with it. But I ate that anyway. I marked the cabinet doors in the kitchen with sticky notes so I could remember which way they opened. I listened to several meditative audios. I decided to hang a blackout panel since I bought a tension rod at the market. But the panel did not have tabs, which I thought it did. So I looked around and found a sleeve for a quilt. Then I packed Linda's machine back in its box. Since my machine box was labeled 'opened or damaged', I took pics of it from every angle before opening it. I unpacked my machine and all its accessories. The pin case was shattered, and the rotary cutter was unsheathed. The ruler was missing. I pulled out the seam ripper and took out the hems to make the sleeve longer (the hems were huge). Then I cajoled the machine into sewing up the seams again. When I tried to sew the sleeve onto the curtain panel, I had all sorts of problems. Finally I took the bobbin area apart and examined the parts. The shuttle had quite a burr on it, and I had nothing to sand it out with. I had to sew the entire length by gently rotating the handwheel. That still only made stitches 70 % of the time. I put the panel on the rod and forced the rod into the bedroom window. It cut out a lot of light. I laid on the bed, tired and mad at the post office. I had paid almost $50 to ship the machine and they damaged it. Or customs did. Eventually I went out to the dining room to check e-mail Chris came home late. He changed clothes and we walked to the PX for a plunger. But the man said they did not sell them. I was sure I had seen one, and we desperately needed one, but that might have been in the commissary (which isn't open on Mondays). So we walked back to the duplex. Chris made himself supper while I read e-mail. Then I made myself a spinach salad with tomatoes. Chris made me the same dressing he used on his cabbage salad. I read an article about the dangers and lack of effectiveness of the flu vaccine. A study showed the people who got the flu vaccine two years in a row were more likely to get the flu than people who never got the vaccine. Also, health care workers are being forced to get the vaccine to keep their jobs, but to get the vaccine, they have to sign a consent/waver form. After awhile, we sat down to watch two more episodes of Firefly. Then he went to bed. I stayed up to post to my blog.
* See how high the cabinets are? *

No comments: