Monday, February 8, 2016

First sewing class

I woke up sweating profusely, several times before the alarm went off. I dozed a little after, then got up. I checked e-mail while drinking water. I exercised to an audio. I ate some seed crackers with coconut oil on top. I sorted through my stash for fabrics to bring to class. Myra stopped by to pick me up. We loaded my sewing machine, fabric and notions in her car. It was full with her stuff too. Then we picked up Nela and her machine. We parked in back of the FFTC building and carried all of our stuff inside. We rearranged tables to suit our purposes and take advantage of outlets. I hid the dry erase markers in case kids came. Soon after 10 ladies arrived. Some brought their grade-school kids. Those kids did well. One lady had a toddler and that did not work out so she left. Another had to leave at 12, but most stayed to finish their project. Myra had brought several bags to copy. I worked with those who wanted to make the shoulder bag, which was similar to one I made. I had not done the other bags so left Myra to supervise that. At first I was completely busy, turning from one to another to explain their next step. But two people left and then it was better. My machine did not get much use because the bobbin case was missing. I had removed it to watch the needle/shuttle action in order to work on the other machine. I called Chris to bring it to me and he brought the only one he could find, which was for the one with the bad timing. Nela had brought her machine, but without any thread. I put my thread in it, and did not have any other spools for my machine, even after I put the bobbin case in. I made a note to bring extra thread next time. The ladies had a good time and generally it went well. About two o'clock we packed up. Some had a few finishing touches yet to do. We put the tables back in place and folded all the fabrics. The items went in various cars. Myra drove me home, and Anna brought my machine. Then they left. I checked e-mail and made breakfast. I mixed up more breakfast spice mix. Chris came home from work. We stripped the bed and washed the sheets. He made burgers. I assembled the most useable sewing notions in a clear plastic box to bring to the next class. Then we ate our burgers and looked at e-mail. I listened to several short audios. I made some chrysanthemum and ginger tea. I found more notions to add to my take-along notions box. We watched a version of Zorro on VHS from the 70's. I got very sleepy and tried to fall asleep right there on the couch. But it did not work. So I got up to post to my blog and go to bed.

No comments: