Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Baskets are popular among all age groups

I got up, saw it was only 7am and went back to bed. I got up again at 7:35. I collated the recyclables and took them to the curb. I rinsed the broccoli seeds from last night. I oiled my hair. I drank my quart of water while reading e-mail. I put my 15” ruler in my class bag. I threw the pink ribbon in with it. I tried to write up the instructions for the project while listening to an interview, but I could not do both. I ate some seed crackers and a kimchi smoothie. I boiled the beans that soaked overnight and made a batch of seed crackers. Myra called to say she'd pick me up at 11 to move the stuff for sewing class. But I got her to agree to 11:30 because I had stuff in the oven. I took a shower and had to wash my hair three times to get the oil out. I got dressed. I turned the beans off, wondering why they were not getting soft. I printed out the instructions for the Easter basket project. The first copy had weird numbering on it so I turned off the numbering and printed it again. I wished the word processing software wasn't so 'helpful'. Ms. Sung from the chapel called to say the people using Classroom 2 were breaking for lunch so she had moved all our stuff to the other classroom. I called Myra to tell her, but she still wanted to go early. So I went out to wait and she was just driving up. She parked in back of the FFTC. We walked into the chapel and saw Dynee waiting. She followed us to Classroom 1. Our stuff was sitting on the table, so we set up the machines and the iron and arranged the tables to suit our purpose. The large cutting mat was not there. So we kept an eye on the people in Classroom 2 and as soon as they broke up, we asked Chief Hewett to get us a large mat. He brought two, which was good. Myra and Dynee picked out the fabrics likely to make the best baskets, and put the rest under the table to make space. Other ladies came in as I helped Dynee get started on hers. I spent about two hours just cutting 15” squares and sets of stabilizer. One lady brought her own fabric and ribbon, which was really nice. She also brought three kids and made three baskets, plus pieces for two more. Ms. Chung came, and Maria and Eileen and So Young. So all together, 10 baskets – our most popular project yet. The kids were really happy with the baskets they helped to make. And the two sets of instructions I had went home with other people. Everyone had a good time. Some people left early so they put some of our stuff away. In hindsight, it might not have been the best thing because those bins were not properly packed. Once everyone was gone, Myra and I were left to pick up all the toys the kids left on the floor, plus all the threads and leftover pieces, and had to put the tables and chairs back.
On the way out, Ms. Sung wanted to show me a stool that she wanted recovered. She had already shown Myra who said it would be easy. But I did not, because the fabric has to be stretched just right to be smooth and look good. I am glad I thought to ask how many. She said 30. Apparently these 'stools' are kneelers for the Catholic service and she wants them recovered in a different color. Myra and I both said it was too big a job for us.
We walked to the FFTC to get her car, then decided to walk up to the third floor to sign up for the trip to Daegu. As we were entering the building, we saw Chris walking up with Mr. Kim, the new Dan. So the four of us had a chat. Then Myra and I went upstairs to talk to Brittany. We told her we needed more rulers, cutters and fabric for the class. Then we tried to sign up at the front desk. Myra used her credit card and it took three people to get that straight. So I handed the man cash and waited and waited. But he told me to come back tomorrow since his transaction card wasn't working. We got in Myra's car and she took me home. I checked e-mail, then tried a 20 minute nap. I still did not fall asleep, but came closer than before. I played an audio while printing out another set of project instructions and the bean cake recipe. I played a second audio while working on the cake. The recipe called for a food processor, but the closest thing I had was a blender. So I blended. The mixture sat while I melted coconut oil. That should have been easy and I don't know why it took so long. Chris came home from work. I asked him about the kneelers. I found out then, that the kneelers are brand new, intended for use with chairs which were purchased to replace the pews. That set me aback. The pews are getting replaced? The whole chapel is new, just over a year old and now he is replacing the pews with chairs? Thinking about it, I decided pews were inclusive and chairs were exclusive. Since the chapel already did not seem much like church, chairs would just exacerbate the feeling. I thought it might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
I poured the cake batter (mostly eggs and beans – no wheat flour or sugar) into a lined glass dish. Then Chris helped me move it to a smaller glass baking dish. I put it in the oven at 325 and set the timer. Chris made himself supper while I made myself breakfast. I ate it while reading e-mail. I drank some sugar cane 'tea', made from sugar cane fiber soaking in the tea pot. After the cake came out of the oven, I jotted notes for my blog while it cooled. I practiced my trombone briefly, then I drank the rest of the sugar cane tea and took my supplements. We watched two episodes. Chris helped me wrap the cake and put it in the fridge. Then he went to bed. I stayed up to post to my blog. I thought I was going to bed, but then my tapping buddy called, so....

No comments: