Friday, November 18, 2022

Making goat butter

Thursday

I got up about 7:15, not having slept well. Still out of melatonin. I wrote up a blurb for the next three sewing classes. That didn't take too long, but finding an image to post with it took far longer. How hard is it to find an image of a reversible placemat?

Anyway, Michelle came over to pick up cheese and two goat milk bottles. We talked for awhile, then the CSM called. Michelle left and I talked to Mauvet. She asked me to decorate for Friendsgiving. I went back to looking at images, picked one and posted the blurb, also sent it to Chris for e-mail distribution.

Then I searched for my coconut oil. I didn't find it so I had to open a new one. I washed the sweet potatoes and rubbed them with oil, then put them in the oven. I looked up a holiday roll recipe. It was old so I had to adapt it for bread machine use. I warmed whey on the stove as my liquid.

I listened to Endgame. When the sweet potatoes came out, I peeled and mashed them with the listed ingredients. Then I formed the rolls and let them rise. I met Michelle up at the Friendsgiving house. But it was locked, so we went to Headquarters to get the key. We returned to the house and went in to find 8 round tables set up. There were tablecloths there and they were a little wrinkled. Michelle took them home to wash, while I went home to finish my casseroles and rolls.

I made breakfast and ate while listening to Endgame, then The Highwire, then back to Endgame. When the rolls came out of the oven, I started another batch in the bread machine and texted Michelle and met her at the Friendsgiving house. I put my sweet potato casserole and rolls in the fridge. She brought the tablecloths. I had an iron and a towel, but could not make much of a difference. There were decorations, so we put some up and made arrangements for each table.

We paused in the middle of that to go walking at the gym with Diane. After walking, Michelle and I went to my house to get the pumpkins. Then we went back to the Friendsgiving house to finish the decorations and arrange the pumpkins on the sidewalk.

It was after 5 when I got home. The dough was over-risen, but I punched it back down. I made a salad, then formed the rolls and left them to rise. I cut some rosemary and took it to Diane, along with the rest of the oregano. Chris came home from work just before I got back.

I took two containers of goat cream from the fridge. They had been defrosting. I put them in the mixer. I was surprised how long it took to turn to whipped cream. Chris tasted it. Then I kept mixing and mixing, hoping for butter. That took so much longer and it kept splattering. Finally I filtered all the liquid out. When I mixed again, more liquid came out. Then I put it in a small container and mashed salt into it, pouring off even more liquid. Finally I had goat butter!

I took a pic. I baked the second batch of rolls and spread some of the butter on them. I put the butter milk in the fridge. It was pretty good, too. I posted the pic to Facebook. It sparked a conversation with an old friend. I perused Keepsake Quilting's sale and ordered some fabric and scissors. I posted to my blog and made tea. We watched two episodes of Librarians. Later Chris went to bed, and I stayed up a little longer. At 11:30, I called it quits and headed off to bed.

No comments: